As the Application Database Administrator (DBA) you are responsible for the overall Systems Development Life Cycle and maintenance of the Goodwill’s data environment including relational databases, data warehousing technologies, ETL technology and supporting our Business Intelligence data feeds. You will help deliver solutions that ensure compatibility and integration with company strategies and business plans. You will establish standards and guidelines regarding data access and data management for improving technology development and support processes.
As the DBA you will design and build relational databases and data stores for data storage, processing, reporting, backup and recovery. Develops and implements strategies for a data warehouse, data marts, data acquisition, and archive recovery. Cleans and maintains the database by removing and deleting old data. May evaluate new data sources for adherence to the organization's quality standards and ease of integration. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
What will I do in this position?
- Interview end-users & stakeholders for analytic needs/requests.
- Maintain and grow a robust Microsoft SQL data warehousing environment with data sourced from a variety of operational systems including packaged, custom and external cloud-based applications.
- Identify business drivers, pain points and opportunities; generate solution options to address the same.
- Work with our PMO and Development Manager to scope & prioritize projects and manage deliverables with business partners.
- Document system requirements.
- Create and maintain high level data diagrams of the current and future state architectures with a roadmap connecting the migration path.
- Create and maintain documents that define source data ownership that can be used as the foundation for data governance
- Provide user support for enhancements, bug fixes, and questions.
- Transform business requirements into data models, data flows and front-end applications (reports, dashboards, etc.)
- Build data models (logical and physical).
- Build data integration and transformation "layer".
- Transform data into information by delivering reports, dashboards, analytic "cubes," etc. to business leaders
- Unit test all components in the solution stack (database, staging layer, front-end).
- Perform end-to-end integration testing of BI solutions.
- Direct the troubleshooting and resolution of Tier 3 technology problems and assume the role of problem manager as required.
- Provide level 2 & 3 support for databases, tools, reporting environments and BI solution.
- Coordinate with other operational resources (e.g. database, network, servers) to ensure uptime for the data warehouse and reporting environments including BI.
- Work with developers to provide data services to existing and new applications (e.g., logical and physical databasedesign, creating and optimizing stored procedures, functions, views, etc.)
- Maintain ETL interfaces with existing 3rd party applications and in-house developed solutions.
- Maintain existing Microsoft replication.
- Maintain DOMO data feeds.
- Responsible for the upgrades and ongoing maintenance of databases, tools and BI software.
- Deliver quality business systems and enhancements on-time and on-budget.
- Plan, design, develop, implement and maintain data management and software engineering processes, methods and tools.
- Share suggestions for improving overall best practices, security and technical operations. Initiate forums to share standards and educational information.
- Provide senior technical leadership to the organization by being conversant with and cognizant of the future direction of information technology and systems, how that direction will impact the company, and how future and current systems can be exploited for the benefit of the company.
- Evaluate and acquire state-of-the-art data access technology for utilization within the overall information architecture.
- Provide technical support and assistance on architecture processes, physical data stores, data access techniques and systems engineering technologies.
- Maintain current technical expertise to support rapidly changing technology of computers and databases throughout the enterprise.
What We're Looking For:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field preferred; and a minimum of 6 years Database Administrator experience.
- Minimum of 4 years hands-on-SQL development experience with Microsoft SQL Server in a production environment.
- Minimum of 4 years supporting BI solutions and development.
- Proven ability to transform a significant portion of an enterprise environment from a current state existence into the future state.
- Skilled in the development, troubleshooting, and tuning of stored procedures and SQL queries.
- Experience working with a data warehouse, dimensional modeling, and designing and maintaining ETL processes including Microsoft Replication.
- Understanding of data warehousing & BI concepts: facts, dimensions, hierarchies, aggregation, and analysis.
- Software development experience with database systems.
- Demonstrated ability in being able to solve business problems, not merely providing technical solutions.
- Excellent at creating and managing data models and design diagrams.
- Good communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiastic attention to detail.
- Thrives in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time pressure and deadlines.
- Knowledge of statistical concepts and their application in reporting and data mart applications
- Familiarity with accounting concepts is preferred.
- Retail Sales Operations, Educational Institution Operations, or Social Services data familiarity is a plus.
Full-time employees may participate in a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Continuing education and leadership development
- Comprehensive health plan
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Life, dental and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability plans
- Nationally recognized preventive health and wellness program
- Section 125 pretax health spending account, dependent care spending account and premiums