What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
Bank of the West is looking for an Appian Technology Lead to support the Commercial Banking Group (CBG). Current areas of focus include customer onboarding and compliance. This position will:
- Lead the analysis, architecture, design, and development of CBG’s Appian BPM applications and integrations with other platform solutions
- This is a blend role with a hands-on senior engineer component
- Work directly with business stakeholders in a consultative posture to assist with solutioning business opportunity with technology augmentation
- Engage business stakeholders, analysts, project managers, developers, and QA teams to understand their requirements, define and socialize the application design and architecture, and ensure Appian applications meet both business and technical requirements, both functional and non-functional
- Collaborate with other tech leads and architects on integration, development standards, and the Center of Excellence to help define and document Appian development standards across the bank
- Mentor and coach BSAs, development engineers, and QA engineers on their respective practices across geographically diverse teams
- Take a lead role to develop and grow a strong partnership with key business stakeholders and Appian Center of Excellence as the lead representing the Solutions Delivery CBG Appian BPM group. Be the ‘go-to’ person in technology for business consultation on the platform.
This position requires prior experience developing, documenting, and vetting SADs, SDDs, and B/SRDs. Incumbent should also understand both Agile (Scrum) and Waterfall delivery models, understand the importance of SDLC (Software Development Lifecycle Principles), and BPM development best practices.
Incumbent should be able to communicate complex scenarios clearly and confidently across written and verbal channels to audiences of varying experiences and expertise.
- BS Degree in CS, CIS, or a similar area of focus. 6 years’ professional experience may be substituted where no degree has been obtained.
- 12+ years expert level knowledge and experience in software design, development, and data modeling.
- 7+ years as lead application architect or tech lead (J2EE, .NET, Appian or similar Object Oriented language)
- 7+ years in with building BPM applications including process modeling, smart services, rules and tempo event services
- 7+ years’ experience designing n-tier systems using deep relational data modeling in UML, SOA, OOD, and frameworks such as MVC and Hibernate ORM
- 3+ years delivering technology solutions as part of an Agile Scrum team
Strongly Preferred Skills:
What sets you apart:
- Appian BPM Developer / Architect Certifications. Pega, IBM BPM, and Oracle BPM are also a bonus.
- Experience or certification in TOGAF or Zachman architectural standards
- Experience and expertise in financial services, specifically commercial banking
- Experience or certification Agile Scrum [Master]
- Experience with BRMS packages such as PegaRULES, Corticon, JBoss BRMS, or Blaze
- Experience with the Appian Tempo Interface
- Familiarity with best practice Design Patterns