This is an exciting time to join the design team at AppDynamics. We're redefining our platform and our product experience to help our customers monitor and troubleshoot increasingly sophisticated technical environments. With Cisco, we're crafting the future of how people understand, interpret and act upon their software and hardware eco-systems. Hiring the right design talent is critical to helping us achieve this vision.
About The Role
You will lead the design that helps our customers make sense of end user behavior and performance across all of their digital touchpoints and properties. This is a key role within our growing design team. You'll be helping us build a user-centered design practice to deliver well-crafted product designs that provide clarity, continuity and context for the IT professionals who use our product. We're in the midst of an agile transformation which includes organizing as co-located cross-functional squads. You have the opportunity to be autonomous; you'll take full ownership of your product area, including how the work in your squads connects to the work in other squads to create a holistic product experience. While some coordination with other offices may be needed, most day-to-day work will happen with your Design, User Research, Product, and Engineering colleagues based in our headquarters in San Francisco. This team is often stepping into new territories where design has yet to tread, developing concepts and approaches to solve for challenging technical problem spaces.
You're a systems-thinker who enjoys solving sophisticated design problems for specialist and technical users - the more complex the problem space, the more you thrive. You have a people-focused design mentality. You're constantly looking to refine your work and believe that the best design work is done iteratively and collaboratively, seeking early and regular input and feedback from users, customers, and your peers in design, engineering and product management. You're ready to lead design for a strategic part of a sophisticated, evolving product. You enjoy working with all the latest tools and technologies, including a robust design system. You engage in thoughtful dialog about the most impactful product experience for our users.
As a Sr. Product Designer, you will:
- Lead design projects focused on Digital Experience Monitoring (DEM) that provides capabilities to monitor and analyze end user experiences on mobile and web applications
- Work closely with the product and engineering teams who are delivering a defined roadmap following agile principles
- Collaborate with the user research team to gather and synthesize qualitative and quantitative data from customers, and partners
- Drive and iteratively deliver solutions that make it easier for users to make quality decisions faster with greater confidence
- Use a variety of design methods best suited to create concepts, storyboards, wireframes, mocks, and prototypes to explore and convey design solutions
- Lead design reviews, communicate designs to leadership and engineering, support roadmap planning, and sprint planning
- Work with other designers, researchers, product managers and engineers to deliver compelling, people-centered UX solutions
- Work with the design tech team to influence and improve the AppDynamics design system
Experience that will help you succeed in this role:
- History of crafting effective user-centered product experiences of moderate to high complexity (likely 6+ years)
- Designing SaaS, B2B software, (bonus: developer tools)
- Leading design as part of a cross-functional product team
- Participating in user research, with an ability to synthesize, understand user's needs, motivations and behaviors and translate them into actionable deliverables
- Learning a new technical problem space
- Presenting design concepts to a wide variety of audiences (such as functional and executive leadership, business, product, engineering, sales, and product support)
- Bonus: A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Design or HCI
- Bonus: HTML/CSS/JS development, motion design, and/or advanced prototyping skills