The Animation Supervisor, Motion Graphics Design and Enhancements position is responsible for supervising ESPN Creative staff workloads and collaborating with internal/external creative, production and technology partners to identify, implement and advance ideas and workflows that increase efficiency, improve storytelling and enhance viewer experiences across all platforms. The animation-focused position requires an advanced knowledge of 2D and 3D animation applications, animation pipeline experience, scripting knowledge, technical direction abilities, and strong communication skills. This supervisory position is also responsible for evaluating performance and guiding the development of directly reporting staff members.
- Actively supervise diverse team of creative staff during all phases of daily production.
- Provide high-level animation guidance, supervision, and technical direction to internal and external teams.
- Research and implement innovative technical solutions and workflows for next-level animation design and efficiency.
- Provide leadership and direction to our internal animation team (all levels) through training and mentoring.
- Recommend new animation technologies, provide hands-on support, participate in budgetary prioritization.
- Monitor, prioritize, and delegate workload in fast-paced/deadline-driven sports television environment.
- Connect with direct reports to understand career aspirations, clarify performance expectations, and provide feedback.
- Collaborate with management team to evaluate staff; pinpoint, initiate and track individual development opportunities.
- Engage internal/external partners to inform, recommend, prioritize and produce screen enhancements.
- Maximize capabilities of existing hardware/software and create and apply strategies for emerging technologies.
- Investigate new techniques and implement efficiencies for improving workflow and productivity of department.
- Set expectations, manage deliverable lists and effectively oversee multiple concurrent projects under tight deadlines.
- Provide software and ESPN format support for internal and external contributors; proactively track and resolve issues.
- Communicate effectively; provide daily summary reports to management team pinpointing action items for follow-up.
- Expect to travel, work non-standard hours (nights, weekends, holidays) as coverage, production, training needs require.
- Exemplify role as a departmental leader in everyday interactions.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in Television/Media Production, Design, Animation, Digital Media or Technology industry.
- Online portfolio or demo reel showcasing experience, creativity, technical abilities.
- Advanced software, hardware, and scripting experience in 2D and 3D environments.
- Prior associate supervisor or leadership role experiences.
- Experience in a major TV market or network level.
- Strong understanding of live production workflows.
- Proven ability to effectively collaborate with a diverse team of contributors and clients.
- Awareness of emerging technology trends in media production, delivery and consumption.
- Creative thinker with an open mind to learn and explore new ideas and opportunities to enhance programming.
- Advanced knowledge of 2D/3D animation production pipelines with technical troubleshooting skills.
- Highly experienced in design/animation apps: Adobe Suite, After Effects, Cinema4D, Maya, Nuke, Houdini.
- Strong understanding of rendering workflows, advanced renderers (Arnold), and render farms.
- Scripting (Python, LavaScript, ExtendScript, etc.) language expertise.
- Knowledge of Viz Artist/Trio/Virtual applications.
- Hardware & technical proficiency in Windows OS workstations, high-end animation hardware, and graphics cards.
- Experience in product or project management (timelines, life cycles, budgets).
- Detail oriented, exceptionally organized, possess strong communication skills and able to effectively prioritize.
- Understanding of the ESPN brand and a passion for sports as a fan and as a business.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
Job ID 658899BR