Android Engineer / Senior Android Engineer
We're looking for an Android Engineer to work on mobile applications that will be used by tens of millions of American Express cardholders around the world. We want someone with strong technical skills and creativity; someone who enjoys solving tough problems and working with new technologies. This person should not be shy about sharing their ideas, and be obsessive about user experience and beautiful code.
As an Android Engineer, you'll be part of the Mobile Engineering team whose mandate is to develop new products and platforms for American Express customers. Mobile Engineering's aim is to build interactive experiences at all touch points of a consumer's journey whether before, at, or after the time of purchase.
You'll be working in a fast-paced small-team environment with the stability of working as part of a Fortune 100 company. Your primary responsibility will be to work with a small team of designers and engineers developing mobile products. You should be familiar with modern software development methodologies popular in Android, and be able to dive deep and rapidly iterate on ideas with your team despite some ambiguity.
- Contribute to the design, architecture, and development of apps that are elegant, efficient, secure, highly available, and maintainable
- Work closely with other developers and end users to ensure technical compatibility and user satisfaction
- Contribute insights into ways to improve the processes and tools used on the Android team
- Be highly motivated and maintain a positive, "can-do" attitude in a fast moving environment
- Follow and help cultivate consistent development best practices
- Collaborate with your project manager and other software developers to plan,design, develop, test, and maintain the Android application
- Provide thought-leadership regarding implementation best practices
- Assist in estimation and assessment of feasibility of features
- Foster a collaborative spirit across multiple teams
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems Technology or related field.
- Knowledge of developing trends and emerging standards in mobile apps (RxJava, MVP, Kotlin, etc), mobile payments, and wearables
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in Android Development and 3 years of experience in Software Development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Familiar with the whole software development life cycle (e.g. requirements, analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation) and execution models (e.g. Waterfall, Agile, etc.)
- Great knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Excellent technical knowledge of Java for Android, Android SDK and AndroidStudio
- Good understanding of RESTful APIs and how to connect Android applications to back-end services
- Experience working with testing libraries like Espresso and Junit
- Familiar with Continuous Integration (CI) and its use in testing, building and deploying Android apps
- Knowledge of the open-source Android ecosystem and the libraries available forcommon tasks
- Understanding of code versioning using git, github and gitflow.
- Understanding of accessibility and security compliance
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Experience in creation and review of software and architecture designs
- Experience with Kotlin is a plus
- Experience with payments technology is a plus
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you'll find out what we're really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you'll hear. It's our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you're ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.