Anatomic Pathology Manager ( Histology and Cytology )
5 - 7 years experience • Patient Care
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Christiana Care Health System in Delaware is currently hiring an Anatomic Pathology Manager. The department is processing close to 40,000 surgical specimens, 3,000 FNAs, 11,000 GYN and non-GYN specimens annually. This Anatomic Pathology section supports two hospitals with over 1100 beds collectively; multiple surgicenters, a Cancer Center, and several outreach programs.
Qualifications and Experience:
As an Anatomic Pathology Manager you will require strong technical knowledge in the areas of Histology and Cytology. You will also possess strong experience in Anatomic Pathology billing, coding, reimbursement and outreach business. A minimum 10 years’ of experience and must have managing experience of both Histology and Cytology. Qualified as HT (histo technician and or HTL-histo technologist) with advanced degree.
In this position you will manage the functions and services of Anatomic Pathology (Histology/Cytology) including the clerical AP support staff, on a system wide basis. You will manage the administrative operations of the Anatomic Pathology section, plan and organize departmental activities on an ongoing basis, with the physician section heads to ensure a well-run and up-to-date operation.
Ideal candidate must be from comparable institutions that process about 30,000-40,000 surgical specimens, 2000-3,000 Fine Needle Aspirate (FNA), 4,000-5,000 GYN specimens and 5,000- 6,000 non-GYN specimens.
- The lab has 8 pathologists, 3 physician assistants and 25 FTEs (technicians and supporting staff)
- Histology has high volume automated Immuno histo chemistry section
- Performs close to 150 autopsies a year
- Histology Lab has a main lab in Christiana hospital and a basic small lab in Wilmington hospital- staff rotates through these labs
- Histology lab has a supervisor and the position will report to Section director and to the chief Pathologists
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the activities of anatomic pathology employees under the guidance of the Director. Assess competency of staff. Assume responsibility in conjunction with Director, for scheduling, performance evaluations, coaching, disciplinary actions, transfers, promotions, terminations, salary adjustments, hiring and training of new employees.
- Manage the extensive, expanding clerical aspect of the business including patient requests for second opinions, referring physician requests for second opinions, research and grant requests for patient materials, etc.
- Act as liaison with contracted physician group to ensure consistency of coding and billing processes. Develop and completes audit process for pathology signoff and the review of technical charges
Education and Certifications:
- B.S. degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences, Biology, Cytology, Histotechnology or related field required.
- MBA or MS in health management preferred.
- Desired Certification/s: HT, ASCP, CT and QIHC
- Five years’ experience as a cytotechnologist or Histotechnicianrequired.
- Three years of supervisory experiencerequired.
Why choose Christiana Care?
“At Christiana Care, our mission is simple and profound- we take care of people”- Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH- President and CEO
Christiana Care Health System, with locations in Wilmington and Newark, DE, is one of the largest health care providers in the Mid-Atlantic Region. We are named one of “America’s Best Hospitals” (and #3 among 96 hospitals in the Philadelphia region) by U.S. News & World Report. Truven Health Analytics- 100 Top Hospitals in the U.S. and is the only major teaching hospital in the nation to win the Everest Award consecutively in both 2015 and 2016. We have an excess of 1,100 beds between our two hospitals (Christiana and Wilmington Hospital) and are committed to providing the best patient care in the region.
Christiana Care offers a competitive base salary, annual incentive bonus, relocation support and a comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, 403-B with match, defined contribution plan and generous paid time off.
Join us in this journey to provide excellent care! We Serve Together…
Job Requisition #: