Analytical Linguists work across Google to drive improvements in quality, classification, information structure, and natural language understanding and generation. As an Analytical Linguist you will work both on complex projects spanning multiple products, groups, and disciplines, and on tightly focused efforts to produce specific product components or answer specific research questions. Analytical Linguists work in many different areas and arrive with a wide variety of skills—your specialization might involve natural language processing and understanding, phonology, phonetics, syntax, semantics, ontology, program management, human subject research, experimental design, statistics, corpus linguistics, large scale data acquisition, or any combination. This team is part of some of the most groundbreaking and exciting work at Google. It's our goal to use insights from linguistics and related fields to constantly improve our products.
As an Analytical Linguist, you will help customers gather crowdsourced data from our internal platform to evaluate launch decisions, train models and monitor quality metrics. You will help improve the end-user’s experience throughout Google’s ad ecosystem. You will collaborate with internal clients within Ads and Commerce to design human computation tasks to collect ground-truth ratings, informing the client of the end-user’s experience.
Users come first at Google. Nowhere is this more important than on our Advertising & Commerce team: we believe that ads and commercial information can be highly useful to our users if, and only if, that information is relevant to what our users wish to find or do. Advertisers worldwide use AdWords to promote their products; publishers use AdSense to serve relevant ads on their website; and business around the world use our products (like Google Shopping, and Google Wallet) to support their online businesses and bring users into their offline stores. We build and maintain the platforms that have made Google what it is today, and are constantly innovating to deliver the most effective advertising and commerce opportunities of tomorrow.
- Work directly with Engineers and Statisticians to devise and run experiments to answer specific questions about advertising and product quality.
- Create interfaces and write instructions to collect labeled data from our rater workforce.
- Design and implement data and worker quality control methodology, experiments and improvements.
- Master's degree in a human research-oriented field (e.g. Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Social Science), or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with Python or another programming language (e.g. Java, C++, etc).
- Experience working with datasets.
- PhD degree in a human research-oriented field (e.g. Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Social Science, etc).
- Experience designing and implementing data-based research experiments.
- Experience in crowdsourcing, cloudsourcing, or other outsourcing of work on a large scale.
- Experience in survey design and analysis.
- Experience with Machine Learning and Classification concepts.