Location: Rockland County, NY (Near Ramapo, Nanuet, & Pearl River NY and Park Ridge NJ) – see brief cost of living study below.
An opportunity for an Analytical Chemist to support a “green” and sustainable process development effort.
- A highly collaborative professionally run organization with company values like “honesty and integrity”, and world-renowned business partners who provide additional R&D support, process design assistance, and licensed process market penetration.
- They are funded by a consortium of companies interested in their final products. For example, an investor might be interested in a “green” source of plastic for making beverage bottles.
- The work culture is hands-on, business like but casual! There is no corporate red-tape and all employees have a vested interest in the success.
Features and Benefits:
- Competitive salary + stock options, paid vacation & holidays, medical & dental benefits, annual reviews & raises retroactive to Jan 1
- Work in partnership with highly accomplished experts in Process Development & gain valuable contacts for future
** Cost of Living is lower than might be expected (COL 103 +): HQ in suburban Rockland County NY with a low crime rate and several “Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence” COL(120). -OR- Easy commute from Orange Country NY with less congested COL (103). -OR- For fun, live in NYC, but COL (180) is high, as expected. (The Nat’l Average COL is 100).
The focus of your work will be Analytical Testing, methods development, and data analysis in support of process development. Our client has developed novel “green” reactive catalytic chemical processes to convert biomass materials (wood chips, corn stover etc) or recycled plastic materials into Xylenes used in plastics manufacturing. (This allows for true plastics recycle where the downstream plastic materials, such as bottles, meet all ASTM specifications, which is difficult to achieve in historical plastics recycling.)
Reporting to the VP of Research, your work will involve Analytical Chemistry with an initial focus on ICP and HPLC.
- Develops rigorous analytical methods that achieve company objectives for accuracy and precision, quality, cost, and time
- Writes standard analytical method procedures that are comparable to ASTM methods in terms of content, quality, and completeness
- Assist project teams by providing analytical chemistry perspectives and has an aptitude for developing hypotheses and conducting relevant tests that determine if hypotheses have merit, and if not, then an ability to adapt and propose new hypotheses
- Supports future pilot plant activities by identifying analytical solutions and options, and developing analytical test programs in collaboration with engineers and scientists
- As time permits, you will also participate in hydrocarbon product development studies. This requires an ability to plan and manage test programs involving company resources, 3rd-party laboratory, and external certification bodies such as ASTM and other industry consortium groups.
We are searching for an Analytical Chemist with a history working in industry (we are NOT looking for a process development chemist).
- Minimum 4-year degree in Chemistry. Prefers an MS degree.
- 2+ years of experience in Industry (not only academia) as an Analytical Chemist
- Best with time spent supporting catalytic processes and having knowledge of metals poisoning effects
- Expert level skills troubleshooting analytical instrumentation: ICP - Atomic Emissions Spectroscopy, HPLC- High performance liquid chromatography, GC- Gas chromatography, and CG/MS Mass spectrometry.
- Best with ICP-OES (optical emission spectrometry) but ICP-MS experience will be considered.
- Secondary areas of expertise with on-line process sampling systems and complex organic mixture compositional analysis such as for petroleum-based fuels or blended petrochemical streams.
- Working knowledge of Agilent ChemStation software
- Ability and clearly communicate lab results by oral and written means, including the relevance of the results to company goals
- Has worked within collaborative team of scientists and engineers.
- Possesses and inventive approach, is creative, and is focused on value through trade secrets and meaningful patents
- Must be authorized to work for any employer in the USA without restrictions. Sorry “no future sponsorship” rules out F-1 Visa/ OPT
If you are interested and qualified, let’s have a conversation. Please send me a draft of your resume to facilitate a good two-sided conversation. I will ask a few questions about your career and tell you who the hiring company is.