Research Data Integration and Analytics (RDIA) group, Informatics Division of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester. The RDIA group provides state-of-the-art integrative biomedical research data management and analytic services for research programs within the University of Rochester Medical Center.
This position involves the development, evaluation, and testing of web-based database applications, data integrations, and programming to manage workflows for clinical and experimental data and document procedures used. This includes integration with clinical and specimen metadata for several large research centers, as well performing data quality assurance. Tasks also include formatting data for submission to public genomics data repositories. The candidate will work under general supervision of the RDIA Technical Lead, with some latitude for independent judgment, working with a team of other developers and data managers.
Collects and analyzes user requirements and system capabilities:
- Meets with principal investigators, lab personnel, and statisticians involved in research studies to understand volume, frequency, and format of data to be collected, data workflows to be supported, and analytic tools to be implement.
Adapts existing data management applications to meet project requirements:
- Where possible, uses features of LabKey Server system to implement, design, test, and track data collection, workflows, and analysis.This includes use of the wikis, file content, lab assay modules, study, issues, and query modules of LabKey Server.
- Primarily focused on custom programming for assay and experimental data management and integration.
- Builds custom reports using LabKey Server SQL.
- Builds, evaluates, tests, and maintains custom LabKey Server modules using Java, LabKey Server APIs, and in-house developed libraries.
Data management tasks; Data QC/QA and scripting:
- Builds custom external programs using Java, Python, LabKey Client APIs, and SQL to automate data cleaning, data transformation, data QC and reporting.
Attends project meetings, meets with supervisors, makes recommendations and attends educational seminars
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, computer science or related field (Master’s preferred) and 2-3 years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience programming in Java and developing J2EE web applications required.
- Experience with command line Linux environment; basics include directory and file management, file permissions, rsync, grep, awk, sed.
- Experience with scripting data transformation in R and/or Python a plus.
- Experience using relational databases.Working knowledge of SQL required.DBA experience (especially PostgreSQL) a plus.
- Experience with High Performance Computing environment (SGE, PBS, SLURM) a plus.
- Experience working with next generation sequencing data and related data formats a plus.
- Experience with LabKey Server software a plus.
- Excellent attention to details, ability to work and communicate well with multi-disciplinary team is required.
- Must be able to work on-site.