White & Case is an elite global law firm serving leading companies, financial institutions and governments worldwide. Our long history as an international firm means we are perfectly placed to help our clients resolve their most complex legal challenges wherever they may be. With lawyers operating from more than 40 locations, working in virtually every country of the world, we have invested heavily in building a high-quality full-service practice competing at the top of the market. We are distinguished by our on-the-ground presence in the world’s key financial markets and our strengths in handling complex cross-border work. It’s not just about our global network of offices; it’s the global interconnectedness of the Firm that our people, and our clients, value most. We work well together across geographic and practice boundaries. It’s one of the reasons we attract and retain cross-border work. And why we attract a diverse group of people. Our lawyers are globally minded, enterprising, collaborative and committed to excellence. Diversity is a core value of our Firm and it has been recognized with numerous awards and top rankings around the world. Our people represent 90 nationalities and speak 80 languages.
As a core member of the Global People Team you are tasked with helping White & Case translate our business strategy into talent imperatives that deliver on our 2020 vision of profitable growth, engaged people and outstanding client relationships. You will lead the talent agenda for one or more regional section(s) supporting the Regional Section Head(s) (RSH) to develop, engage and progress the best and brightest lawyers. You will work closely with the RSH(s) to implement the growth agenda and optimize the size, shape and utilization of the section through recruitment, talent management, and work allocation. Equally, you will be an advocate for the associates and counsel in your section(s) ensuring they receive the training, experiences and coaching they need for progression and continued success in the Firm. You will help identify issues and opportunities and take part in designing and implementing section specific initiatives and globally aligned programs to drive cultural change and engagement across the Firm.
- Help shape and drive implementation of the People agenda supporting the section business plan and global Firm vision.
- Understand and apply the Firm’s career framework to planning for the associate pipeline, succession planning, high performance culture, etc.
- Support section talent management and people development planning to ensure associates and counsel are on boarded, resourced, trained, mobilized, seconded and developed in a way that benefits both the individual and the Firm.
- Meet regularly with the RSH(s) to review talent management and development efforts, and assist in driving any necessary interventions and actions.
- Drive the implementation of and participationd in firm wide programs including but not limited to annual milestones, performance evaluations, upward feedback, flexible work, on/off ramping, engagement surveys and exit interviews.
- Collaborate with Training & Development and PSL teams to ensure legal, technical and professional development curriculum is fit for purpose.
- Own and facilitate associate career development plans helping to identify the right work experiences, client opportunities, formal training and coaching.
- Lead on employee engagement initiatives to align interests of lawyers and the Firm.
- In conjunction with RSH(s) and relevant partners, manage work allocation ensuring associates receive the experiences required for continued development and progression.
- Listen to opinions and keep abreast of the employee relations climate within the section and across the region. Consult with RSH(s), HR, General Counsel and Employee Relations to advise and implement appropriate actions.
- Understand and plan for cultural impact across programs and initiatives and understand how to gain commitment to change from partners, associates, and staff alike.
- Demonstrate and practice a high level of knowledge around talent management and a solid understanding of technical HR. Use talent networks to continuously upskill self and team.
- Achieve results by utilizing the People team centers of expertise (recruiting, diversity, mobility, training, etc.), shared services and wider support functions.
- Build trust and work effectively with all stakeholders; improve effectiveness across HR functions and with shared service.
- Contribute to building and fostering a collaborative, collegial, high performing team committed to professional excellence.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion is considered across all talent related processes and decisions.
- Self-motivated and achievement oriented
- Open minded with the ablity to listen to and coach others
- Collaborative with a consultative approach
- Committed to excellence
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Strong project management skills
- Inclusive and culturally sensitive
- Able to drive change and transformation
- Persuasive and able to influence senior decision makers
- Excellent business acumen and administrative skills
- Able to manage competing/conflicting priorities effectively to achieve a way forward
Education and Qualifications
- 8+ years of professional services, talent management and/or HR experience
- 3+ years working across a regional, global or remote cross-border teams
- Experience with shared service capability
- Bachelor’s degree required, law or advanced degree preferred
- Legal or professional services experience preferred.