As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will use our existing simulation tools and develop additional tools to guide our metal additive manufacturing efforts. Additive manufacturing (AM) is a rapidly evolving field and we are determined to adopt and develop state-of-the-art AM methods and tools to produce advanced and reliable rocket components. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Optimize additive manufacturing processes using in-house AM simulation tools
- Research, develop, optimize and extend new and existing AM models and simulation
- Use FEM to support tests and investigations of AM build failures.
- Develop process automation tools to improve the AM design cycle
- Develop best practices for analysis methods
- Communicate results to the design, analysis and AM build teams
- A graduate degree in engineering, physics or applied mathematics with a focus in additive manufacturing, or a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering and 5+ years of experience in finite element modeling
- Familiarity with at least one programming language (Python/MATLAB/Fortran/C++)
- A strong background in numerical methods or scientific computing.
- Excellent understanding of structural analysis/mechanics
- Ability to anticipate and rapidly adapt to new developments in the AM field
- Ability to work in teams and effectively communicate results
- Be self-directed and capable of balancing several tasks at one time
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Familiarity with formulating and discretizing governing equations
- Ability to develop and implement new algorithms in a numerical simulation
- Have previously developed and implemented a novel numerical model or algorithm in a scientific program and validated the results against test data.
- Experience modeling metal additive manufacturing techniques or laser welding
- Knowledge or residual-stress measurement techniques
- Background in uncertainty quantification (UQ) methods
Job ID 2750