Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
Wellington Alternative Investments llc (WAI) is an affiliate of Wellington Management and is responsible for oversight of certain Wellington-managed fund vehicles that pursue alternative investment strategies, including hedge funds, private equity funds, and liquid alternatives. The WAI team serves as fund sponsor for several alternative funds, overseeing fund governance, product development, marketing, operations and servicing fund investors.
The WAI Portfolio Specialist position is a multi-faceted role supporting the business management, investment oversight, and client service needs of WAI-sponsored and sub-advised alternative products. The person who fills this position will work on a wide range of business and investment-related activities including product management, risk analytics, client service, client reporting, marketing, working with outside vendors, and inter-departmental projects.
This role requires strong analytical skills, including a deep understanding of global financial markets, various security types, investment risk analysis techniques, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment. There will be considerable contact with clients, prospects, and colleagues within Wellington Management; in particular, Equity and Fixed Income Portfolio Management, Global Industry Research, Global Relationship Group, WAI – Fund Services, Legal Services, and Tax Services.
The WAI Portfolio Specialist’s primary responsibilities will include the following:
- Collaborate with senior members of WAI, including risk management personnel, to perform analytical work supporting the management and oversight of the alternative products (performance, risk, and portfolio analysis, etc.).
- Provide daily investment risk oversight for a set of WAI-sponsored hedge funds; prepare and review fund documents, including portfolio characteristics, RFPs and marketing materials to be shared externally with clients and prospects.
- Produce fund commentary (performance, positioning and outlook) to be shared with senior management, WAI Investment Directors, and others within Wellington Management.
- Contribute to investor relations efforts of the team responsible for building relationships with and responding to inquiries from over 1,000 clients.
- Work in tandem with WAI Investment Directors to develop and implement sales and marketing strategies with respect to our sponsored hedge funds and private equity funds; communicate strategies within both WAI and the broader Wellington Management.
- Participate in meetings with clients, prospects, and consultants to communicate ourinvestment philosophy, strategy, positioning, and performance.
Examples of recent WAI Portfolio Specialist projects include:
- Historical performance analysis of private securities held in hedge funds
- Coordination of cross-functional effort to launch a new hedge fund, including development of marketing strategy, assessment of disclosure & reporting requirements, and management of operational complexities
- Assessment of the impact of regulatory developments on our funds and investors
- Maintaining data integrity of inputs for a custom risk analytics tool
The successful candidate for this position will have strong academic credentials, client relationship skills, demonstrated analytical and writing skills, effective communication skills, a high level of attention to detail, and is likely to have at least 5+ years of experience in a related position. An understanding of asset management, financial markets and a solid knowledge of statistics will also be important. Prior experience in a related position, advanced academic work (MBA, MS, etc.) and/or CFA are preferred.
While the Portfolio Specialist will work in a team-oriented environment, many projects will be self-directed, often under intense deadline pressures. Other critical skills include the ability to display sound judgment, juggle multiple priorities, take ownership for work, and resourcefulness.
Wellington AlternativeInvestments -PortfolioSpecialist
280 CongressAs an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.