If you are looking for a career as an algorithm engineer, and you are interested in researching and rapidly prototyping solutions to problems of national importance, then our Raleigh, NC division of ARA has an exciting opportunity worth considering. Not only will you solve challenging core problems, you’ll be able to grow your career in an exciting environment that promotes teamwork and cross-training in a wide range of related disciplines, including: geospatial science, image processing, machine learning, computer vision, and computer graphics. As a valued contributor to our research team your responsibilities will include (1) collaborative brainstorming and problem solving to define requirements, objectives and potential solutions; (2) researching and designing algorithms from the ground up independently and as part of an agile team; (3) testing and maturing algorithms with new ideas and customer feedback; and (4), supporting prototype implementation and transition to customers in the intelligence and defense communities. Candidates particularly interested in object detection in remotely sensed data and generating 3D models from source data are highly encouraged to apply.
The opportunity for career advancement and continued learning at ARA does not stop there. We strive to identify cross-train opportunities and encourage staff to become involved in upcoming R&D efforts as well as interject new ideas into our longstanding operational programs. At ARA, we foster an environment where technical staff are empowered to research and develop their own ideas –with resources and support from a strong internal technical team and external academic partners. You can expect day to day to have flexibility in choosing the level of autonomy suited to you, while at the same time enjoying a challenging technical career with great opportunity for personal growth.
- MS or PhD degree in applied mathematics, physics, engineering, computer science, imaging science or a closely related field, with preferred specialties in geoinformatics (GIS), computer vision, or computational geometry
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience for candidates with a MSdegree
- Demonstrated experience in applied research and algorithm development
- Relocation to Raleigh NC; this position involves minimal travel for collaboration with customers and partners
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Eligibility to apply for and hold a US security clearance (selected applicants will undergo a securityinvestigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment)
- Experience programming in Matlab, Python, IDL and C++
- Experience in terrain modeling from point cloud data
- Experience in machine learning, including deep learning
- Experience in multi-view geometry
- Experience in satellite image processing including image chain analysis, orthorectification, pan-sharpening, change & anomaly detection, supervised and unsupervised spectral classification, and radiometric & atmospheric correction
- Experience with one or more commercial/open-source GIS applications including QGIS, ArcGIS, ENVI, Remote View
If this is the perfect job for you pleaseapply online at careers.ara.com today!
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,100 professionals and continues to grow. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company’s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, pleaseapply at careers.ara.com.
ARA is an EOE/M/F/Disabled/Veteran Employer.
ARA is an At-Will Employer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Masters or better in Mathematics or related field.
Doctorate or better in Mathematics or related field