Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery. At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create worlds people will fall in love with. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games.
Ubisoft Toronto is a growing and diverse team on a collective mission to create what’s next in AAA games. Since opening our studio in 2010, our team has shipped the critically-acclaimed Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist as lead studio, and Assassin’s Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, Far Cry Primal and Watch Dogs 2 in collaboration with Ubisoft Montreal. In 2012, we opened our state-of-the-art Performance Capture Studio, and Playtest. We are currently working on For Honor in collaboration with Ubisoft Montreal, as well as several top-secret, unannounced projects.
Ubisoft Toronto is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2017.
As the AI Programmer, you will oversee the elements that are not controlled by the player (e.g.: enemy actions and behaviours) and which add to the player experience
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time
The main and routine tasks of the AI Programmer are to:
- Compile and understand the AI needs of the creative director and game designers so as to develop the necessary elements and asses their technical feasibility;
- Assess existing AI functionalities in the engine and whether or not they meet project requirements;
- Suggest improvements if necessary by designing and implementing new systems;
- Collaborate with designers and animators in discussing constraints and establish the technical possibilities of the AI functions;
- Suggest innovations based on other industry games;
- Program in C++ in a clear and structured way, taking into account performance, maintenance, and compatibility requirements;
- Validate and verify that the newly developed systems meet project AI requirements and are coherent with the existing code;
- Support the AI functionalities and systems designed for production;
- Determine and correct the AI bugs identified by people from other crafts and the quality control team;
- Document the work so as to transfer knowledge and enable users (from other crafts) to understand how to use the new AI systems and functionalities;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
- Bachelor of Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or equivalent training or experience;
- Ph.D. in AI game-related area an asset.
- Minimum 3+ years’ AI programming experience, in the video game industry;
- Game industry experience, must have shipped a minimum of 1 or more AAA titles
- Solid proficiency in C/C++ language;
- Console development experience is a must.
- Good analytical and synthesizing abilities;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Autonomous and resourceful;
- Ability to take initiative;
- Attention to detail;
- Flexibility in work organization;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to adapt to change;