Las Cruces, NM
Industry: Manufacturing / Diversified•
5 - 7 years
Posted 300 days ago
Agriculture Operations Manager
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Vice President of Ag Operations, the Agriculture Operations Manager is responsible to represent the company in the primary capsicum producing areas of the Southwest as well as global origins. The responsibilities of the Agriculture Operations Manager include the planning and management of all activities that support the contracting, planting, growing, harvesting and delivery of the crops from his area to support the processing facilities and the company production plan. The Agriculture Operations Manager monitors all competitor activities as well as the competitive crop costs in the area.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Responsible for developing a crop plan, for the contracting of field acreage and Outside Processor volume to support the annual production plan
2. Develops competitive crop cost models and recommends crop pricing plans for the area
3. Responsible for selection of growers and fields for planting.
4. Responsible for the variety improvement program that focuses on early and late maturity windows, high ASTA, high dry yield, disease resistance and machine harvestability.
5. Manages the seed production program to provide required volumes of planting seed
6. Schedules and distributes the planting seed as required and manages the planting activity.
7. Prepares planting summaries, area maps and field maps.
8. Prepares weekly crop reports with a focus on crop progress, quality and yield estimates.
9. Monitors all crop culture activities including weed control, fertilization, irrigation, pest management and disease management.
10. Manages the harvest activity and raw material delivery to support the plant production schedule.
11. Responsible for the daily auditing and reconciliation of grower deliveries and finished pounds
12. Responsible for the local grower accounting and approval of grower and freight payments.
13. Communicates on a regular basis with growers in the area and promotes a positive company image within the local agricultural community.
14. Monitors competitor activities in the area.
15. Maintains a current growing guide for the area.
16. Manages the safety program for the area to meet the established safety objectives.
17. Manages budgeting responsibilities and monitors and controls department expenses.
Education/Experience/Skills: (list minimum requirements):