Reporting to the Director Resource Management in Canadian BankingTechnology’s Strategic Portfolio Office, the Agile Technical Project Manager (Agile PM) is responsible for driving team efficiency, supporting the development team, removing roadblocks, evolving the product while leveraging processes which are in accordance with Agile principles and methodologies.
The Agile PM ensures the team is delivering/aligning on project vision and goals, guiding the team throughout the product lifecycle, facilitating daily scrum, capturing retrospectives and acting as a team coach.
Agile PM will actively participate in improving the team’s development practices, to ensure sustainability, security, and efficiency of the code base. An agile champion, you are expected to coach and mentor your fellow agilists and technologists to accelerate the organization’s adoption of Agile.
The Agile PM is expected to have extensive knowledge of the industry and should be recognized for business acumen by the client set supported.
The position requires expert understanding of emerging technologies, project management and life cycle development methodologies and technical architectures pertaining to the area.
The Agile PM will have excellent skills in relationship and general business management.
Depending on the assigned project, you could be travelling between Scarborough or downtown Toronto.
- As a Project Manager you will:
• Provide consulting and guidance on project initiatives including business case preparation and developing creative/alternative approaches to problem resolution. The focus is to be kept on overall business solutions, not on specific packages or technologies.
• Motivating the Project Team and maintaining the momentum of the Project against background of changing and occasionally conflicting priorities.
• Ongoing communication of project status, completing the monthly Project Status Reports and escalating issues to the Operations Sponsor, the Senior VP and the Executive VP, as required.
• Ensure the documentation and archiving of project activities, deliverables, tools and findings and for use in future projects.
• Assess the maturity of the team. Understand how to best approach the project using Waterfall, Iterative or Agile like techniques.
• For Agile projects validate the Scrum Maturity of the team and coach the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization (Guiding the team on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values).
• Build a collaborative, trusting and safe environment where open communication help surface issues for faster resolution, problems, retrospectives, creativity are shared openly, where mistakes represent learning opportunities, with an emphasis on problem solving.
• Coach the team and help to lead in organizational environments in which Waterfall, Iterative or Agile is not yet fully adopted and understood.
• Consistently demonstrates great level of collaboration within team and across the organization, working consultatively and influencing change.
• Drive satisfaction from mentoring and coaching team to help them achieve greater outcomes then they thought possible.
• Act as a role model, fostering great sense of autonomy, accountability, self-organization self-direction within the sprint teams.
• Good skills and knowledge of facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
• Highly results focused, has the ability to work with high-performing teams and challenge self and others to improve even further.
- Implement sound project management practices, in line with Agile methodology:
• Facilitate activities including sprint planning, sprint review, retrospectives, and daily scrums.
• Identify, manage, and help mitigate project issues and risks.
• Remove obstacles for the team and/or direct obstacles to appropriate owners for quick resolution.
• Enact change & continuous improvement to increase the productivity of the team and quality of deliverables.
• Ensure team execution and delivery to committed milestones or sprint work- maintaining the momentum of the project and upholding a sustainable pace of delivery.
• Understand long-term product planning/ roadmap and help inform development team to create quicker gains for the benefit of the end user.
• Participate and provide relevant updates of product deliverables/status updates to the product owner/business sponsor and project stakeholders.
• Compliance with Scotiabank policies and procedures for project delivery and financials.
Develop and nurture strong partnering relationships with Business Sponsor and stakeholders:
• Developing strong partnership with the Business Sponsor to gain strong understanding of requirements, sustain open dialogue to manage product backlog efficiently, and facilitate and drive the benefits of the project.
• For Agile projects this includes managing daily scrums so as to maximize team output.
• Possess the ability to work with and influence wide range of stakeholders across roles and levels (business, compliance, Legal, IT, etc.) to remove impediments to sprint commitments.
• Support and educate the Business Sponsors, stakeholders on Project Principles with a focus on shifting projects towards using more Agile principles and methodologies to preserve the team from external pressures which may inhibit its productivity.
- Contribute to building organizational capability and expertise on Agile project management
• Helping product owners/business sponsors, partners and stakeholders understand and enact project methods including in their lines of business.
• Communicate effectively across diverse audiences within and outside of the Sprint Team (Stakeholders, Executives), acting as a champion of project methodologies.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Must have 7 to 10 years of progressive IT working experience.
• Must possess 4 or more years of technical working experience in managing projects.
• Must possess a minimum of 3 years of working experience in people management and/or leading large cross-functional/cross-regional teams on major organizational projects.
• Must have demonstrated experience in managing program(s) in excess of $50 million budget.
• Must have demonstrated experience in managing program(s) that are considered highly complex, and often are long in duration with multiple implementations.
• Your project management working experience must also include a strong understanding of agileproject management disciplines and practices.
• Must have demonstrated application of Agile Projects including scrummaster role in a recent project/initiative.
• Must have a developed, demonstrated competence in some technical area related to the financial industry and/or information systems in order to understand the working of a specialist's mind.
• Must have superior verbal and written communication skills, plus demonstrate a proven ability to:
1) make presentations to varied groups;
2) deal with all levels of line management up to the EVP (individually or in committee);
3) chairing meetings involving diverse Bank organizations and management levels; and
4) dealing with vendors/consultants without exceeding authority.
• Must possess an expert ability to balance competing or conflicting goals of various departments/stakeholders, requiring a mature, diplomatic approach and highly developed negotiation and influencing skills.
• Possess thorough knowledge of software technologies and of the various Software Development Life Cycle methodologies (Agile, Incremental and Iterative, Scrum-ban, Lean, Waterfall).
• Be familiar with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), and/or knowledge of otherAgile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
• Possess the ability to execute highly complex or specialized projects; adapts precedent and may make significant departures from traditional approaches to develop solutions.
• Have an advanced level of understanding of agile principles and practices, service-oriented environments, and iterative development practices and risk management.
• Also have an advanced understanding of incremental delivery and the value of metrics including backlog tracking, burn down metrics, acceptance criteria, velocity, and task definition.
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate the effective breakdown of epics into user stories, to attain high levels of sprint velocity within corporate constraints, to plan and execute against sprint roadmaps.
• Bachelor's degree in computer engineering, business, information sciences or other related field. Masters’ degree/MBA is considered an asset.
• PMP certification is an asset.
• Scrum Master certification (CSM) is desired.
Requisition ID: 8896