The Agile Project Manager (APM) is responsible for planning, organizing, and motivating agile teams to achieve a high level of performance and quality in delivering products that provide exceptional business value to users. The APM may be responsible for managing several concurrent high visibility projects using agile methods in a fast-paced environment that may cross multiple business divisions. The APM may play a number of different roles in actual practice:
- At an enterprise level, managing large, complex enterprise-level product initiatives consisting of multiple Agile teams and/or requiring integration with other activities outside the scope of the Agile teams
- At a team level, working with stakeholders in the Product and Technology organizations to establish priorities, define user stories, and establish sprint backlogs to ensure continuous delivery of product value
- In situations that require a hybrid Agile approach, using good judgment and skill to develop a project management approach that is suitable for planning and managing the effort to achieve the goals within designated constraints
In performing these roles, the APM will be expected to use a high level of knowledge and experience in blending traditional project management principles and practices with an Agile development approach in the right proportions to fit large, complex, mission-critical, enterprise-level initiatives and with the appropriate level of planning and agility to drive predictability.
Essential Job Requirements
- Planning and Management– Work with stakeholders in Technology, Product, and other teams to define scope and forecasting while focusing on regular and timely delivery of value; prepare and distribute progress reports; manage risks and issues; communicate and adjust for deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for assigned product initiatives
- Product Owner Support– Support the Product Owner in managing customer expectations for deliverables, managing stakeholder communications, and helping to implement an effective system of governance
- Process Management and Improvement– Define and manage a well-defined management process and champion ongoing process improvement initiatives to implement best practices for Agile Project Management
- Team Engagement– Work with Product Mangement and Technical Management to define user stories, priority, dependencies to establish and maintain a well groomed team backlog.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions to fit a business environment
- A proven track record of successfully implementing software or web development projects using Agile methodologies including 4+ years of experience managing large, complex projects in a high-tech development environment with multi-function teams.
- Prior experience with Agile methodilities, including Scrum and/or Kanban, preferably with enterprise-level application development. Familiarity with scaling frameworks (e.g. S@S, SAFe, LeSS) is a plus.
- Sufficient level of technical background to provide highly-credible expertise to development teams and to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues
- BA or BS or equivalent experience is required; MA or MS is a plus
- CSPO, CSM or other Agile Certification
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence
- Proven ability to lead software development projects and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met
- Solid understanding of and demonstratedexperiencein using appropriate tools:
- Agile Project Management tools such as Jira/Greenhopper, Rally, VersionOne or equivalent
- Smartsheet, LucidChart, and all Office Tools
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view