The Scrum Master is responsible for planning, leading, organizing, and motivating agile project teams to achieve a high level of performance and quality in delivering agile projects that provide exceptional business value to users. At an enterprise level, leading and managing large, complex enterprise-level projects consisting of multiple Agile teams and/or requiring integration with other activities outside the scope of the Agile teams. At a team level, playing a consultative role to help put in place the appropriate people, process, and tools and coaching members of the team as needed to optimize the efficiency of the project team.
- Guides the team and organization on how to leverage Agile/Scrum practices and values to maximize the delivery of business value.
- Acts to apply Agile/Scrum practices in a manner to best suit the needs of the team.
- Tracks and leverages key metrics to champion team health, product delivery, and continuous improvement.
- Guides the team on applying self-organizing, self-corrective behaviors; analyzing and adapting to the feedback inputs (e.g. Metrics, Sprint Reviews, Retrospectives, etc.), all for the purpose of building high performing teams.
- Removes impediments or guides the team to remove its own impediments.
- Builds a trusting environment where issues are raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on correcting and problem solving.
- Facilitates the completion of assignments efficiently and without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Champions collaborative discussion, decision making, and problem solving.
- Assists with internal communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Coordinates and encourages participation from all team members in scrum ceremonies (Daily Scrum, Backlog Grooming, Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, and Retrospective) and longer-term planning exercises (Road Mapping, Release Planning).
- Supports and educates the Product Owner in applying the scrum framework and agile principles, and in particular the importance of refining and maintaining the product backlog.
- Continually enhances own domain knowledge of systems and products.
- Continually improve Scrum Master skills through education and engaging with fellow Scrum Masters.
- Works with Product Owner and Team to plan and execute project implementations.
- Assists in the identification and mitigation of project risks.
- Ensures Definition of Done (DOD) is met consistently.
- Provides Scrum Master services to multiple teams, when required.
- Identifies and acts on coaching opportunities at the individual and team level.
- Conducts regular assessments of a team's Scrum Maturity and uses the results to guide them to improved performance.
- Assist with other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge Agile Project Management principles.
- A proven track record of successfully implementing software projects using Agile methodologies including 5+ years of experience.
- Expert experience with SCRUM/Agile methodologies with enterprise-level application development projects. PMI-ACP, CSM, or equivalent preferred.
- Experience overseeing cross functional teams with at least 10-15 team members.
- Sufficient level of technical background to provide highly-credible leadership to development teams and to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues.
Skills and Experience:
- BA or BS or equivalent experience is required; MA or MS is a plus.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a Scrum Master function.
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building.
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands.
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Ability to anticipate issues based on experience to help the team avoid or resolve the issues.
- Proven ability to lead software development projects and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met.
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated experience in using Atlassian tools such as Jira/Confluence equivalent.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level.
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the "big picture" view.