Under general supervision, the Agile Manager is responsible for facilitation of Agile team progress towards objectives and goals and to meet commitments. Core function of job is to serve as a Scrum or Kanban master of a single agile team.
Guides an agile team towards high levels of optimization of the team and of the flow of work. Acts as a facilitator, coach, and mentor who guides a team in executing the practices of Kanban, Scrum and/or the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). Promotes positive team dynamics, encourages collaboration and guides the team toward self-organization.
If the team is part of a multi agile team environment, ensures the team collaborates, plans, and works effectively with other teams and the program. Responsible for facilitating team level ceremonies (e.g. standups, iteration planning, and retrospectives), removing impediments to the team’s success, and resolving conflict within the team. Ensures the team collaborates effectively to manage risks/issues, escalate, plan, track, report, financial management. Monitors key lean agile flow based metrics. Ensures the team focuses on quality, and continuous improvement activities.
Supports those responsible for identification and prioritization of the work/scope backlog. Builds and leverages effective alliances across other teams and the technical and business communities.
This job is an individual contributor who functions as a team lead.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Facilitation and optimization of the flow of value though the team.
- Facilitation of team progress towards objectives, goals, and commitments.
- Coaches the team on: Lean Agile principles and values, SAFe, Scrum and/or Kanban practices. Participates in Communities of Practice.
- Responsible for facilitation of team level agile ceremonies. Establishes a team level Agile Calendar.
- Facilitates removal of team level impediments and dependency management. Facilitates the management of team level risks and issues. Works to meet expectations of Release Management.
- Collaborates and works effectively within the team, with other Scrum Masters, with the Agile Program; and across disciplines, escalating when appropriate.
- Promotes team health and maturity. Facilitates team continuous improvement activities. Focuses the team on quality.
- Facilitates team level planning, tracking, measurement/metrics, reporting, and financial management activities; providing visibility to the team and stakeholders and enabling high-quality decision making. Ensures focus on Agile Program and organizational guidelines.
- Attends to the space and tooling needs of the team, escalating when necessary.
- May have vendors’ people as team members. Vendor relationship management is fairly straightforward using common Travelers engagement techniques
- Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 2 years of project management experiencerequired.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
The ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business or equivalent education, and related training or 3 years applicable experiencerequired
- Knowledge of Scrum and SAFe required
- Experience as a Scrum team member with minimum 1 year in a leadership position, preferred
- Scrum Master Certification (CSM or SAFe-SM) preferred
- Change Leadership
- Demonstrated ability to listen to and support teams while identifying and solving problems, as well as decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to develop solutions to meet business needs that reflect a clear understanding of the objectives, practices and procedures of the company, department and business unit.
- Able to create an environment of mutual influence and understand and empathize with others.
- Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members – including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
- Excellent mentoring skills. Demonstrated experience encouraging and supporting the professional development of each individual, as well as team development.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively persuade rather than use authority.
- Demonstrated ability to coach rather than coordinate team activities.
- Demonstrated ability to help others fix problems, rather than fixing the problem themselves.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross functional, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to perform assignments using established procedures, and make decisions relating to the accomplishment of routine responsibilities.
- Demonstrated results orientation.
Preferred experience & knowledge:
- Property/casualty insurance industry and applications
- Experience in additional IT SDLC roles (e.g., Developer, System Analyst, Designer, QA Analyst)
- CA Agile (Rally) tool usage
- Familiarity with Test Management tools such as ALM and Rally
- Knowledge of SAFe System Team function for integrating features from Agile teams, performing end-to-end solution testing, and assisting with deployment
- Experience with end-to-end QA, including test planning, test design, test automation, test execution, defect management
- Experience developing and executing a QA test strategy
- Experience with test data management
- Good understanding of In-sprint automation and CI testing
- Familiarity using Cucumber and Selenium
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
Job ID: 16123BR