The Flight Engineering Capability is an exciting organizational element in Boeing Defense, Space & Security responsible for Flight Engineering work statements. Product areas within the Flight Capability in the St. Louis/St. Charles region include Fighter Aircraft, Unmanned Aircraft, and Missiles/Weapons Systems, and includes Flight disciplines in Aerodynamics, Propulsion and GN&C. The set of specialized capabilities and skills maintained by our teammates are the foundation of what defines the majority of our Boeing products; things that FLY! The St. Louis region is growing, and Flight Engineering is looking for motivated, talented engineers to join the Boeing team on the exciting programs located in this region. Selected candidates will work a wide range of programs that will require Aerodynamic design, analysis and testing to meet our customers' requirements.
Boeing is recruiting for a senior Aerodynamics Engineer to lead the aero statement of work on one of these new product design, development and integration projects in the areas of Fixed Wing Aircraft and/or Missile Systems. The Flight Engineering Capability supports the business in all aspects of the product life cycle with aerodynamic engineering design, analysis, testing, integration, demonstration and certification. This position will serve as a lead for a team of engineers in the areas of aerodynamic performance, stability and control, and/or weapon separation in the design and analysis of flight vehicles and their components.
- Applies extensive job practices, techniques, standards, principles, theories, and concepts. Has full knowledge of other related disciplines. Recognized as a job expert within the department/organization.
- Provides technical solutions to complex problems that require ingenuity and creativity.
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment. Completed work is reviewed for desired results from a relatively long-term perspective.
- Guides the successful completion of aspects of major programs and may function in a project leadership role. Erroneous decisions or recommendations may result in failure to achieve major organizational objectives.
- Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Leads, plans and performs aerodynamic design and analysis of flight vehicles to ensure that the vehicle meets requirements.
- Leads the development of new and improving existing technologies, tools and processes to enhance technology readiness, improve vehicle performance and reduce cycle time and cost.
- Plans, conducts, coordinates and/or develops test requirements and evaluates test results to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Develops Boeing responses to proposed regulations that impact cost, performance, producibility, maintainability and safety.
- Knowledge of relevant multi-disciplinary requirements for test or analysis for showing compliance.
- Leads analyses and testing to determine that compliance requirements are met.
- Leads the development of new means of compliance.
- Extensive knowledge of flight vehicle handling qualities, control law development, and performance characteristics (e.g., aerodynamics, flight dynamics, physics, weight and balance, and system analyses).
Trains and mentors less experienced personnel.
- Works under minimal direction.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Relocation Assistance Available
Yes. Available for eligible candidates, if authorized.
This position requires the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance, for which the US Government requires US Citizenship.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelors degreerequired
- Experience with aerodynamic design and analysis principles, tools, processes and methods for air vehicles, including industry and company standards and practices and emerging capabilities.
- Experience organizing, leading, and performing aerodynamic design integration tasks within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience with test principles, tools, and processes needed to lead, plan, conduct, coordinate, and/or develop test requirements.
- Experience with multi-disciplinary wind tunnel, ground, flight, accident and incident, and product support testing of aerodynamics characteristics of flight vehicles, their components, or supporting technologies.
- Experience with certification and/or qualificationprocesses and procedures, including extensive knowledge of governing regulations and compliance requirements.
- Experience leading a team in the execution of the Aerodynamic engineering aspects of a project or program in the areas of flight performance, stability and control and/or weapon separation to a technology readiness level to create and validate new designs and analysis processes.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Highly preferred: Current active Secret U.S. Security Clearance
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 9 or more years' experience, Master's with 7 or more years' experience or PhD with 4 or more years' experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.