Division and Unit Overview
The American Chemical Society is the world’s largest scientific membership association and one of the top scientific publishers in the world. C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism about the world of chemistry, including coverage of recent advances in research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is widely considered one of the major benefits of membership and the C&EN magazine reaches over 158,000 members. Washington IT is responsible for providing support to enterprise applications and systems at ACS. C&EN is one of the major enterprise systems the IT division supports.
The IT Publications Software Engineering Group is responsible for the creation, maintenance and support of enterprise level information technology systems that produce publication-ready articles for the ACS Journals and weekly newsmagazine. It is responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of applications that assist the entire magazine publication process, from content creation through editorial process, technical editing, graphics editing, and delivery on web, mobile and other media.
- Collaborate with newsroom, product development, marketing, analytics, and advertising technology teams to build new products and features. Bonus points for practical experience with ad serving solutions like DART/DFP and Native ad systems.
- Collaborate with newsroom and other teams on new initiatives and continuous improvement of C&EN’s product roadmap. Bonus points for knowledge of and passion for news and media business models.
- Experience working in Agile methodology.
- Contribute independently and collaboratively in a team of 2-3 developers following agile development processes. Bonus points for understanding of rapid product development and custom solutions aimed at segmented audiences.
- Take Ownership towards products created by the team.
- Passion for user experience and best practice.
- Ability to accept and provide critique of both design and architecture gracefully.
- Ability to work with journalists and designers on short-term news deadlines.
- Ability to consider and judge multiple approaches to a problem.
- Ability to develop new skills while constantly improving existing abilities.
- Strong personal time management skills and ability to deliver projects on time.
- Team player who demonstrates initiative and is self-motivated.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in offshore and/or remote coordination.
Frontend development skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related field) or equivalent experience is required.6-8+ years of experience in frontend web development
- Ability to build beautiful frontend user experiences, including page templates and reusable page components, based on mockups & functional specifications.
- Experience building responsive websites. Bonus points for progressive web apps.
- Experience integrating social media API’s & plugins.
- Must have experience in Eclipse, GitHub, Jira, or similar tools.
AEM-specific technical skills:
- At least 3+ years of experience working with AEM 6.0/6.1/6.2 (Adobe Experience Manager) and working knowledge of the following AEM concepts: Components, Templates, Widgets, EXTJS, OSGI, JCR, External Integrations (with DB, Web services and other WCMs & DMS), Workflows, Packages.
- A solid understanding of all Adobe AEM building blocks including Templates, Components, Dialogs, Widgets etc. and AEM development/ deployment process.
- Proficient in Adobe AEM foundational concepts including CRX repository.
- Hands on experience building and deploying solutions on AEM 6.X or above and experience developing for the Touch UI.
- Experience using AEM client libraries.
- Ability to resolve user-identified functional and technical issues relating to Adobe Experience Manager.
- Experience with Adobe Asset, Adobe Audience and Adobe Target and otherMarketing Cloud products is a plus.