About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for an Advisor, Social Media & Communications to help support Rio Tinto’s reputation and communication efforts in the United States and Canada.
Based in Salt Lake City, the position requires a strong skillset across social media, content creation, brand management, communications, planning, coordination, event management and stakeholder management.
This position also requires flexibility, a strategic mind and an ability to understand and manage complex situations.
To this end, this person will be called upon to:
- Manage Rio Tinto Kennecott’s social media platforms.
- Support media relations and external communications initiatives to help build Rio Tinto Kennecott’s reputation.
- Help build Rio Tinto’s reputation across the United States and Canada through engaging storytelling and content, including social media posts, videos, web content, etc.
- Support delivery and project management of the Canada and US brand campaign, working with agency and communications teams within the business to generate content and track performance.
- Provide strategic direction and guidance to teams managing local social media accounts.
- Provide brand guidance to communications and operational teams within the business.
We are an open, connected global team that includes some of the industry’s best and brightest minds. We offer competitive, performance-focused remuneration and a wide range of benefits to reward your contribution. With a global reach, the opportunities to develop and grow your career are broad and exciting.
The successful candidate must have:
- Five years of broad-based communications experience, with a particular focus on social and digital (Knowledge of the mining and metals sector and experience in the corporate world is a plus.)
- Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism or any other related discipline;
- Excellent writing skills and command of English
The following skills and traits will be highly regarded:
- Proven independence, resourcefulness and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle numerous deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, changing environment
- Sense of organization and priorities
- Availability to travel and to work outside of office hours
What we offer
- Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs and pension plan
- Wellbeing benefits
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.