Quality laboratory service is not just about providing accurate, useful and timely information to the requesting physicians; it must often be provided within the context of the particular patient’s circumstances. Medical Advisors have the contextual background to fully and optimally assist the ordering or referring clinician.
The Medical Advisor will be a readily accessible medically qualified physician who provides clinical consults with and render opinions to clients concerning the diagnosis, treatment and management of patient care. Accessibility may be via telephone, email and/or other communication means.
Due to the importance of quality patient care, servicing consultation requests of all types is considered imperative and thus requires the availability and immediacy of Medical Advisor availability.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. The Medical Advisor provides consultation regarding the appropriateness of the testing ordered and interpretation of test results.
a. Be available to provide consultation to the laboratory's clients;
b. Be available to assist the laboratory's clients in ensuring that appropriate tests are ordered to meet the clinical expectations;
c. Provide input to Medical Director regarding reports of test results inclusion of pertinent information required for specific patient interpretation and;
d. Ensure that consultation is available and communicated to the laboratory's clients on matters related to the quality of the test results reported and their interpretation concerning specific patient conditions.
2. Demonstrate proactive engagement with clients and ability to build customer relations.
3. Regularly consult with peers and maintain knowledge base of offered test menu and clinical relevance.
4. Fulfill the Clinical Consultant responsibilities as listed in CLIA ‘88 (42 C.F.R. §493.1455 and 1457, respectively). Additional responsibilities may be required by applicable laws and regulations.
5. Regularly interact with potential and existing clients by phone to improve customer experience as part of the sales, account retention and business development processes and to convey the Values and Vision of Quest Diagnostics.
6. Cooperate in the client support (both internal and external) of the laboratory by consulting with existing and potential external clients regarding services to be provided.
7. Comply with all Quest Diagnostics policies including but not limited to the following:
a. Observe all compliance policies
b. Adhere to existing and new Standard Operating Procedures and Policies as issued by the Best Practice Teams and local business unit, including any standards that exceed the minimum requirements of federal, state and local laws and regulations.
c. Assist Quest Diagnostics in assuring that applicable Quest Diagnostics policies as well as federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations concerning health and safety are met.
8. Cooperate with other Quest Diagnostics initiatives and programs that may arise from time to time such as the following:
a. Maintain timely contact with pathologists and other physicians and scientists, to be responsive to their needs, and to respond in a timely manner to their requests for consultation concerning test methodology and clinical correlation of Quest Diagnostics testing services.
b. Collaborate with Quest Diagnostics medical staff in the development of tools and resources to enable clinical education and informed clinical decision making.
9. Assist Quest Diagnostics in professional liaison with professional societies concerned with clinical laboratory medicine. This includes professional medical associations, governmental agencies, and other regulatory bodies concerned with the nature and scope of clinical laboratory business.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
1. Active unrestricted medical licensure for the state, territory, or country where the business unit(s) are located (job offers will be made contingent on obtaining active licensure).
2. Successful completion of the Quest Diagnostics Medical Staff Credentialing process (job offers will be made contingent on acceptable review):
a. Verification of Education/Degree
b. Verification of State (or applicable) Medical License
c. Check of the (United States) National Practitioners' Database and review of claims against the physician (at the discretion of Credentialing Committee).
3. At least 7 years of prior experience in an inpatient and/or outpatient laboratory setting.
4. Board Certification in a subspecialty area within Clinical or Anatomic Pathology that is pertinent to the job position is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Exemplifies professionalism consistent with Quest Diagnostics values, behaviors and principals.
Commits to quality patient care through laboratory excellence in keeping with Quest Diagnostics’ corporate vision of empowering better health with diagnostic insights.
Excellent written and oral communication skills are critical.
Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
Capable of providing leadership and direction in a fast-paced and complex operating environment.
Passion for patient care and services.
Strong executive presentation, public relations and communications skills.