The Video Support Center Core (VSCC) is a fast paced 24x7 break/fix team that remotely supports all video transport and devices in Charter Video Operations group. We are on the front lines for national and regional video device support for the entire Charter footprint as part of a team of engineers dedicated to resolving and mitigating issues with video throughout the entire nation. Successful candidates should have the ability to remotely analyze, troubleshoot and implement corrective actions related to MPEG video transport, encoding and multiplexing.
Successful candidates should have experience working with Networking, Video, telecom or a network operations center environment.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in maintaining and troubleshooting video delivery or video applications
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with internal/external direct customer contact in a technical environment (Headend, Network, Telecom, or Operations background)
- Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year College or university; or equivalent training, education and experience.
- Willing to work in a shifted 4/10, 24x7 operations environment. (No on-call)
Essential Job Functions:
- The Advanced Video Engineer II will support the four primary functions of the Video Operations organization: Acquisition, Encoding, Transport, and Delivery.
- Responsible for the surveillance of multiple video systems across multiple geographical areas.
- Responsible for remotely troubleshooting, testing, and maintaining video services applications, CDN, and Linear Broadcast services.
- The Advanced Video Engineer II is a technical point of escalation for video events in a 24x7 environment.
- The Advanced Video Engineer II provides support for video systems and surveillance, recognized internally as point of authority on implementing tier 3 video break fix actions.
- The Advanced Video Engineer, will identify and escalate to higher tier support teams complex and unique technical issues requiring in-depth evaluation to generate solutions.
- Complies with Video Operations Support Center objectives, policies/procedures, work schedules, and reporting metrics.
- Strong knowledge and operational use of video surveillance systems and resolution implementation, following established operations procedures.
- Advanced Video Engineer will remotely troubleshoot and resolve video network issue.
- Must demonstrate computer skills, personal initiative, and ability to remain calm and focused in stressful situations. This includes the ability to maintain order and a methodical troubleshooting approach that is focused on service restoration.
- The AVE requires cross-organizational communication skills that maintain healthy working relationships.
- Operational experience with building, grooming, and troubleshooting various linear and NextGen/OTT/TVE multiplexing, encoding and transcoding platforms such as Harmonic, Imagine, Arris and Ericsson.
- Basic understanding and experience with Cisco DCMs, Arris CAP/DM6400 Cherry Pickers, BMRs, Imagine BNPs and APEX1k-3k.
- Basic understanding of video networkarchitecture, data networking, system operations, and HFC cable systems are required.
- Understanding of Content Delivery Networks (CDN) along with the applicable support and delivery methods over IP involving HLS & Smooth Streaming technologies.
- Background in performing and implementing network, telecom or video systems troubleshooting or implementation a plus.
- Familiarity with video monitoring tools, and video delivery architecture.
- Experience with network monitoring systems (Netcool, Big Brother), ticketing management systems (Remedy, Jira) and video analysis tools such as Tektronix Sentry, IneoQuest (IQ) iVMS or cVOC a plus.
- Able to work in a fast paced 24x7 support center environment.
- Certification (current or past) in areas of expertise such as NCTI, SCTE, CCNA, a plus.
- Experience with IP multicast video in cable Headends, Hubs, industry vendors’ a plus.
- Knowledge or experience using Headend or Hub devices, configuration implementation or familiarity with MPEG monitoring tools a plus.
- Knowledge of command line, Wireshark and basic UNIX operating commands, helpful.
- Technical Degree or certifications from SCTE or NCTI and/or up to 1 - 3 years of experience in Cable Headends, Hubs, IPTV, MPEG transport or Video Networking preferred.
- Ability to learn and understand difficult concepts quickly and become proficient with various networks and devices.