Advanced Usability Specialist
Less than 5 years experience • Aerospace / Defense
• Company has an immediate opening for an Advanced Usability Specialist.
• This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems.
• Company employees work closelywith esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
• Company’ User Experience (UX) team provides direction to Engineering on user interface for complex systems.
• As a user experience researcher in the UX department, you will play a major role in projects from concept to completion, leveraging expertise in design research, ideation, concept development, wire-framing, and communication with the end user.
• Must possess excellent research skills and be highly proficient in all phases of research execution, planning to report writing
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills
• Proven time management and organizational skills, must be able to work both within a team context and independently with minimal direction when required
• Ability to multi-task on projects to meet competing deadlines
• You have a sensitivity and passion for the end user and excellent user research methodology; You write user stories and persona's in your sleep
• You consider yourself a user advocate
• You have experience performing human factors and usability research: Defining studies, creating methods, refining methods; conducting studies; analyzing data; writing reports with recommendations
• You are able to identify potential usability issues; Understand and act on relevant usability issues and decide what to test and at what level to test, e.g. heuristic, informal or formal
• You are comfortable using either existing research or creating new research methods to answer novel questions
• You can identify what metrics you need and know how to gather and analyze them; You also know when they can be misleading and how to make decisions without them
• You are excited by the challenge of making great tools for users
• You are comfortable brainstorming on the fly at the white-board
• You incorporate feedback from all key stakeholders and welcome ideas from every discipline
• You involve the team in your thinking early and often, or better yet, you do much of your thinking collaboratively
• Your research is complete including actionable recommendations to the team
• You’re comfortable communicating results and recommendations in appropriate mediums, such as storyboards, videos, or Power-Point
• You can clearly convey your ideas, and you stay involved and iterate as development progresses
• You can find and focus on the highest priority things that have the most impact on the end user
• You have a scientific, fact-based approach; you filter out noise in order to target high-impact decisions
• You’re a systems thinker who can manage both local and global priorities
• When you see a problem, you roll up your sleeves and start fixing it, whether or not it’s in your traditional wheelhouse
• You tell compelling stories about your work and present it confidently to stakeholders
• You are an excellent writer and organized thinker
• You can manage difficult discussions with tact and diplomacy
• You both learn from and teach those around you with regularity
• You look for ways to continuously improve your own process as well as that of the teams you work on
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
• A Bachelors plus 5years of relevant experience in a design research-related field: interaction design, psychology, human factors or a related field or the equivalent experience
• Masters or PhD degree plus 3years’ experience in a design research-related field: interaction design, psychology, human factors or a related field or the equivalent experience
• Strong portfolio of research based work
• Qualitative and quantitative advanced research
• Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government securityinvestigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
• Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.