Advanced Tooling Technology Research Engineer / Analyst
Applies composite fabrication, tooling, and processing expertise to lead research and development of new composite fabrication and assembly tooling technologies. Develops innovative tooling technologies for Advanced Research & Development projects, prototype defense programs, and new high rate commercial programs. Collaborates closely with Spirit’s tooling organization. Applies knowledge of materials and their related fabrication and assembly processes to develop and optimize tooling technologies for a wide range of composite structures, materials, and processing temperatures and methods.
- Develops and matures technology.
- Facilitates technology implementation in production and provides support to the user community.
- Informs tooling research and development strategies and plans.
- Collaborates with engineering to apply knowledge of spring back analysis to develop and utilize low cost tooling materials, including additively manufactured materials, for challenging applications.
- Optimizes all phases of tool life, from design through in-use performance monitoring, cleaning, and repair.
Skills & Experience
- This role requires a US Citizenship
- Bachelors of Science
- 5 years of experience using Microsoft Suite
- 5 years composite tooling design/development
- Expertise in fabrication and assembly processes for composite structure
- Understanding of composite tooling design, fabrication, trim/drill, cleaning, and repair processes
- Demonstrated record of composite tooling development & improvement
- Masters of Science
- Microsoft Project experience
- 3D modeling/design software experience
- Resin Infused Tooling
- Additive Manufacturing
- Advanced Repair Methods
- Tooling Design Experience