Come join the staff at OU HSC and become a part of Oklahoma's premier research university which leads the state in education and career opportunities. OU HSC is one of only four comprehensive academic health centers in the nation with seven professional colleges. We are currently building world-class institutes for the treatment of diabetes and cancer.
Independent healthcare provider working collaboratively within a multidisciplinary health team to provide comprehensive care to patients in an outpatient setting. Responsible for assessment, diagnosis, treatment, management, education, health promotion and care coordination for patients and families with acute and chronic health needs. Works with administrative, nursing, physician, and university faculty to assure safe, effective, quality patient care and to promote educational and research missions. Provides care within their scope of practice as outlined by applicable state law, licensing, regulations, and institutional policy and practice agreements.
- Performs history and physical assessments of patients that are accurate, complete, concise, relevant and appropriate for age, gender, and clinical problems. Orders appropriate diagnostic studies and correctly interprets results. Develops, implements, evaluates, and alters the plan of care as needed. Maintains accurate, complete, concise and timely documentation in the electronic medical record.
- Provides care that is patient and family centered, compassionate, appropriate and effective for the promotion of health, prevention of illness and treatment of disease throughout the lifespan. Facilitates consistent, coordinated care and clear communication among all members of the healthcare team. Incorporates the patient, family or caregiver in care planning and treatment across settings. Considers cost effectiveness and risks/benefit analysis when making decisions about patient care. Uses evidenced-based medicine to systematically analyze and improve patient care practices. Develops, evaluates, and implements standards of care within area of specialization (policies, protocols, etc.).
- Participates in research opportunities to advance the care and treatment of patients.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with physicians, other health professionals and health related agencies. Counsels and educates patients and families. Serves as an advocate for patients and families in navigating the health care system.
- Participates in education of students and other health care professionals. Participates in organizational and departmental meetings, educational opportunities, committees and workgroups as necessary. Participates in quality initiative/performance activities. Promote interdisciplinary practice and implement strategies to overcome barriers to collaboration.
- Performs various duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function of the position.
Required Education: Master's Degree in Nursing OR Master's degree from accredited Physician Assistant program.
- Must be licensed as a Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, or Clinical Nurse Specialist.
Experience: No experience required
- Demonstrates knowledge of etiologies, risk factors, pathophysiology, presentation and epidemiology of medical conditions.
- Demonstrates a high degree of clinical expertise in working with patients with acute and chronic illnesses.
- Demonstrates proficiency in procedural skills pertinent to practice area.
- Demonstrates an advanced level of medical/nursing clinical knowledge, communication and interdisciplinary collaboration, professionalism and systems-based practice.
- Demonstrates the highest level of accountability for the professional practice.
- Knowledge of the indications, contraindications, side effects, interactions and adverse reactions of pharmacologic agents and other relevant treatment modalities. Manages general medical and surgical conditions.
- Ability to follow ethical principles regarding patient confidentiality, informed consent, and unanticipated adverse outcomes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Communicates effectively with patients, families and caregivers.
- Utilizes critical thinking to synthesize and analyze collected data.
- Demonstrates insight into own strengths, limitations, and knowledge deficits.
- Demonstrates initiative to meet identified learning needs using multiple resources.
- Actively participates in self-evaluation by seeking and utilizing guidance and constructive feedback in a professional manner.
- Continuously seeks opportunities for clinical advancement and knowledge and skill attainment.
- Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team. Promotes mutual respect and trust working within a team model.
- Ability to work with patients and families when a situation is emotional and intense.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to be flexible, resilient and change oriented.
- Active Registered Nurse (RN) and Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber (APNP) license in State of Oklahoma AND
- Active board certification Nurse Practitioner
- Active PA license in State of Oklahoma AND
- Active PA board certification
Clinical Nurse Specialist:
- Active Registered Nurse (RN) and Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) license in state of Oklahoma AND
- Active CNS board certification
Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, and Clinical Nurse Specialists, must obtain the required licensure from the State of Oklahoma within 30 days after the offer of employment.
All Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant, and Clinical Nurse Specialists applicants must have:
- Active Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) license or ability to apply for such license prior to or upon hire
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification and Advanced Life Support certifications. If relevant to practice area, Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification. Obtain within 90 days of employment in this position.
Advertised Physical Requirements:
- Physical: Standing for long periods of time. Manual dexterity. Speaking, listening, walking,
- Environmental: Clinic Environment. Exposure to ill patients, blood borne pathogens , infectious diseases.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.