Eastman is a global specialty chemical company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With a portfolio of specialty businesses, Eastman works withcustomers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. Its market-driven approaches take advantage of world-class technology platforms and leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. Eastman focuses on creating consistent, superior value for all stakeholders. As a globally diverse company, Eastman serves customers in approximately 100 countries and had 2015 revenues of approximately $9.6 billion. The company is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA and employs approximately 15,000 people around the world.
Eastman has an immediate need for an Advanced Polymer Scientist.
- Develop and maintain polymer characterization capabilities, especially rheological capabiltilites, needed to support various R&D programs, manufacturing and technical service needs
- Develop strong working relationship with our Polymers and Coatings Application Development areas in helping to advance new product development
- Keep abreast of latest advances in polymer characterization techniques and instrumentation
- Employ the latest measurement technology and sound analytical principles to solve major technical problems and have sufficient breadth to recognize when other technique areas may have better applicability to technical problems
- Participate on technical teams focused on corporate growth programs as well as efforts to improve quality/reliability of laboratory services
- Champion development of new technologies/methods and lead the efforts to implement them
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot analytical instrumentation
- Supervise skilled technicians in the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of analytical instrumentation
- Manage and ensure timely completion of projects; review and write test methods and technical reports
Ph.D. required - A Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry or Engineering, Material Science, Physical Chemistry or equivalent science degree from an accredited college or university is required
The ideal candidate must have:
- Polymer Characterization experience
- A working knowledge of polymer processing, rheology and molecular weight characterization is highly desired
- Broad-based polymer chemistry background with an ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Motivated to develop into a company expert (leader) in solving polymer characterization problems, especially rheology
- Ability to lead and engage other scientists and technicians to provide key analytical data for product and process development and to participate in multi-disciplinary product and process development teams
- Capability of managing short-term and long-term measurement projects while meeting timelines
- Knowledge in computers, electronics, software logic, instrument troubleshooting and statistics desired
- Should be an innovative and creative problem solver with strong scientific convictions and willingness to take risks
- Should communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.