Job Summary: The successful candidate will work cross functionally and with vendors to pull together design engineering, manufacturing engineering and the supply base in order to understand and match supplier capability to design intent while ensuring ease of release and build in manufacturing. This effort is to support the transition to production of complex electro optical systems within a fast paced manufacturing environment. The candidate will apply engineering principles and troubleshooting skills to provide technical support to active production lines and r epresents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects. The ideal candidate will have excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Provide comprehensive assessment of suppler capabilities & build techniques and provides recommendations in supplier selection and supplier improvement initiatives.
- Work with vendors to assure component specification compliance, drive improvement into the vendor base
- Provide comprehensive assessments of L3 Insight production capabilities and build techniques and provides recommendations for improvement initiatives by applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials.
- Provide guidance and investigate alternate manufacturing process at suppliers and within L3 Insight production
- Work with Design Engineering early in the design process, providing guidance on supplier and manufacturing capabilities in order to produce parts that can be manufactured with good process capability both within the supply base and in L3 Insight production.
- Provide Design for Manufacturing (DFm) and Design for Assembly, Test and Supply chain
- Provide technical assessment and inputs for ECOs
- Manage continuous improvement activities around parts development, procurement and integration into product in order to improve manufacturing efficiency.
- Prepare product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Perform root cause analysis of technical issues and provide containment and corrective actions.
- M.S. or equivalent in Optical, Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering. 10 plus years of related experience required. Or B.S. or equivalent in Optical, Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering. 15 plus years of related experience required.
- Plastics, Machining, Optics and electronics manufacturing background(s).
- Experience with rapid prototyping (SLA, 3D printing and quick turn tooling for plastic molding and metal die casting).
- Hands-on experience with assembly and test of electro-mechanical and electro-optical systems.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings and electrical wiring diagrams.