Requisition Id4477 Overview:
We are seeking a Senior R&D Staff who will focus on Advanced High Temperature Materials Behavior and Design. This position resides in the Materials Structures and Processing Section, Materials Sciences and Technology Division, Physical Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, you will provide and advance capabilities that describe and predict materials response phenomena at multiscale levels and provide both fundamental and applied design understanding to enable creation of new high temperature materials. Research will leverage fundamental concepts of physical and chemical transformations that occur within materials to develop understanding of microstructure driven materials response, centering on structural mechanisms. Work will pursue unprecedented theoretical understanding of processing and alloying chemistries and transformations relative to multiscale deformation mechanisms. Major Duties/Responsibilities:
- Provide and advance microstructure evolution connections to materials response for a fundamental description of deformation mechanisms in materials, including non-equilibrium materials and/or nano-materials created by novel processing approaches.
- Integrate advanced characterization tools as well as newer AI/ML techniques to bridge length- and time-scales, necessary to describe nanoscale through mesoscale dynamical material responses induced by microstructure and alloying approaches.
- Lead research teams to develop understanding of alloying additions and material chemistry combinations for novel materials, with emphasis on high temperature applications.
- A Ph.D in chemistry, physics, etc, or a related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of experience
- Experience developing and applying microstructure-based modeling approaches integrated with advanced characterization techniques for prediction and understanding of structural materials response
- Experience in high temperature structural materials related research with experimental, theoretical, and characterization components
- Proven record of mentoring junior scientists (students, postdocs, junior staff scientists)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer. Nearest Major Market: