Responsible for managing new product development and product support projects through active participation in satisfying internal and external customer expectations. Responsible for VOC, design and implementation of new products, modifications to existing products, change management, and monitoring / resolving customer field service problems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Participate as an active member in the research and development of new products for the automotive maintenance industry and other related products as deemed necessary.
- Develop customer design/function requirements data file through continuous examination of VOC.
- Develop new products and consistently enhance existing products to competitively meet current and future customer requirements with a global platform mentality.
- Bring new products from design to market in a minimal time frame at the optimal cost. Must be able to manage multiple projects, objectives and deadlines concurrently.
- Responsible for insuring the reliability of products within their respective environment and lifetime. Facilitate resolution to field problems.
- Support value-engineering efforts and incorporate those new ideas into future designs.
- Facilitate and measure competitor performance to customer expectations and implement designs to win in the marketplace.
- Must adhere to established engineering procedures for the design, test, and analysis of products to carry out validation testing of designs. This is to insure continuous improvements in product reliability.
- Ethics & Work Standards: Maintain the highest ethical and work standards, while promoting the same attributes in co-workers and others. Insure that all business activities - with both internal and external customers - be performed with a professional demeanor and that all participants be held accountable to this high standard.
- Communication: Expresses thoughts clearly, both orally and in writing, using good grammar. Presents concise, well organized reports. Listens to understand input, feedback and concerns. Provides complete information in an open, honest, and straight-forward manner. Responds promptly and positively to questions and requests.
- Teamwork/Relationships: Works with other employees willingly and in a spirit of cooperation and teamwork. Supports cooperation. Demonstrates a commitment to the entire business and is supportive of all initiatives (company and departmental) to help grow Vehicle Service Group's business in the U.S. and abroad. Cooperates fully with others to achieve organizational goals. Is tactful, courteous, and considerate. Embraces a positive outlook. Is respected and trusted by others.
- Continual Improvement and Problem Resolution: Identifies and communicates suggestions for work improvements. Uses technical/analytical abilities to assure existing work practices are the most efficient and cost effective possible. Performs root-cause analysis and implements viable, permanent solutions to problems. Works with both internal and external customers to develop solutions which meet company-wide needs and objectives. Applies a sense of urgency to resolve problems or create opportunities that will increase productivity and create value. Shares best practices with other employees across the business.
- Accountability: Accepts responsibility and accountability for both the strategic planning and the successful implementation of all projects/programs/duties as outlined in this job description. Advises supervisor of concerns, problems and progress of work in a timely manner. Demonstrates a sound balance between quality and quantity of work while maintaining a sense of urgency toward completion. Deadlines are met.
- Education: Minimum of a B.S. degree in Engineering, or a minimum 10 Years of direct VSG equipment design experience is required. P.E. license a plus.
- Abilities: Must be results driven and be able to work independently or as a team member to develop existing, or new products in a timely manner, and supervise the work of others when necessary. Must demonstrate strong project management ability with evidence of effective use of a product design process, and or strong leadership ability. Requires a thorough understanding of hydraulics, single and three phase motor specification, metal fabrication techniques, statics, strength of materials, 3-D Modeling, and high-volume manufacturing design requirements.
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years company experience or equivalent experience in a progressive, customer oriented, metal fabrication environment. Experience in contactors, relays, hydraulic motion controls, PID control loops solenoids, etc. desired.
- Supervision: Works under the general supervision of the respective Engineering Manager, Director, or Lead Engineer.
- Responsibility: Exercise substantial degree of judgment while adhering to current design procedures. Work as leader and supporter in various team related design efforts. Identify, communicate, and overcome roadblocks to project critical path tasks. The general results and effectiveness of assigned projects and responsibilities are subject to examination and review. Questionable matters affecting overall unit operation or situations affecting other operations referred to Supervisor.