$80K - $100K(Ladders Estimates)
Administrator II, Core Network will provide operational support for the company's core IP, MPLS, and carrier Ethernet network systems in accordance with design criteria and quality goals.
Position's Customer(s): All of GCI's internal business units and external customers.
Essential Duties of All Levels in the Position:
• Project work relating to platform growth and support.
• Change Management and management plans
• Configuration and troubleshooting of Nokia, Cisco, Brocade, and Juniper IP/MPLS routers and switches, ARRIS cable modem termination systems, Sandvine policy traffic switches, Incognito DHCP servers, and Palo Alto Networks Firewalls. Working independently and/or in teams with little or no supervision required, providing primary support responsibility for multiple network platforms.
• Management of network resources
• Reviewing facilities utilization and performance.
• Creating and auditing network and systems documentation.
• Inventory tracking and maintenance, reports to ensure network elements meet expected life cycle/s.
• Support of junior technicians and Tier I teams
Job Qualifications At all Levels:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must be able to handle moderate levels of stress while demonstrating excellent interpersonal and professional interaction skills with customers and other employees.
• Experience managing large network platforms.
• Demonstrated working experience in the use of Visio.
• Understanding of standard wide area concepts such as routing, multicasting, broadcasting, duplex and half duplex, reliability and testing, high availability, security and standards.
• Experience with SNMP based network management systems, configuration and operation strongly recommended.
• Demonstrate excellent administrative and organizational skills, able to effectively document procedures and technical processes.
• Experience with Remedy, Metasolv, Statseeker, Cacti, Cisco Prime, and X-windows configuration and operation is strongly recommended.
For those in Networking Support Roles:
• Configuration and troubleshooting of IP/MPLS routers and switches
• Knowledge of troubleshooting Arris Cable Modem Termination Systems and cable modem connectivity
• Configuration and troubleshooting of firewalls
• Knowledge of the DOCSIS protocol
• Knowledge of the DHCP Protocol
• Knowledge of IP troubleshooting for end-users
• Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial network theory of operations (e.g. Signal levels, Signal to Noise Ratio, Upstream, and downstream power requirements and limitations.)
• Knowledge of telephony over DOCSIS
• Knowledge in physical connectivity (e.g. identifying and troubleshooting coax, Ethernet, and fiber)
• Demonstrated knowledge of IPv4 and IPv6 address nomenclature and meaning, e.g. IP protocols, IP routing (including IS-IS and BGP), router and switch components and facilities, and communication facilities (fiber, cable, RF, digital, SONET, OC3, microwave, etc.)
• Knowledge of Cisco and/or Nokia and/or Brocade router and switch components
• Understanding of standard network service architectures such as MPLS VPN's, VPRN's, VRF's, IES's, VPLS's, and Pseudowire
• Demonstrated experience with IP/Ethernet test equipment and test suites
• Familiarity with SDN controllers (e.g. OpenDaylight)
For those in Systems Support Roles:
• Understanding of policy management networks
• Knowledge of network operating systems (Linux, Windows, Mac).
• Knowledge and practical experience in working with Linux/Unix operating systems
• System Backup and Disaster Recovery
• TCP/IP, Domain Name Server (DNS), Network File System (NFS), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
• Troubleshooting of listed areas.
Additional Job Requirements: Provide operational support for the company's core IP, MPLS, and carrier Ethernet network systems in accordance with design criteria and quality goals. Functions at an intermediate level within the discipline. Must have comprehensive understanding of telecommunications installation, modifications, and test procedures. Must be able to determine and analyze system problems and outages. Status reports forecasting capacity and performance analyses. Ensuring that all network assets and facilities supporting the network elements are maintained to meet the expected life cycle. Must be able to perform routine to more complex assignments as directed under moderate supervision.
• A minimum of five (5) years' combined work experience working with network platforms, testing, routers and/or switches" is required, to include customer service, LAN/WAN Networking, Telecommunications, data communications or telephony topology systems.
• High School diploma or equivalent is required. Associates degree in networking or related field required. In addition to minimum experience required, degree may be substituted with relevant work experience on a year-for-year basis.
• Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education.
· Preferred Certifications:
· Networking Support:
o Cisco CCNA, Nokia NRS-I, or equivalent
o Cisco CCNP, Nokia NRS-II, or equivalent, SCTE DEP
o Cisco CCIE, Nokia SRA, or equivalent, SCTE IPEP
· Systems Support:
o Linux Professional Institute (LPI) LPIC-1, Linux Foundation LFCS, or equivalent.
o Linux Professional Institute (LPI LPIC-2, Linux Foundation LFCE, or equivalent.
o Linux Professional Institute (LPI) LPIC-3, or equivalent.
Valid Through: 2019-11-4