Administrative Director, Oncology
The position is responsible for all aspects of the outpatient oncology program at the Fall River and Dartmouth Campus and the Cancer Registry. Provides clinical and administrative oversight for all departments listed above, including the laboratory and pharmacy services through the cooperative efforts of the leadership team within the medical oncology department at Hawthorn campus. Provides operations management for all departments to ensure accomplishment of its objectives. Participates in business and physician partnering strategies with all physician groups within the programs, as well as specialty physician groups and primary care physician groups outside of the programs. Collaborates with Senior Management, Medical Directors, Strategic Communications, and other key stakeholders to plan, organize, and manage the administrative activities of the oncology program. Meets appropriate regulatory standards and ensures adherence to organizational policies and procedures for managing personnel, resources, supplies, and equipment.
• Prepares operating budget, manages and controls expense targets, and where applicable, revenue projections.
• Conserves organizational resources by maximizing departmental performance as well as developing and implementing cost saving measures.
• Manages and utilizes personnel effectively to achieve proper staffing and optimum resource management.
• Monitors turnover, overtime, and absenteeism.
• Understands financial statements; develops and operates within budgetary guidelines; is able to justify variances.
• Utilizes objective metrics to establish department performance improvement goals, and creates improvement on all outcomes.
• Develops opportunities to enhance revenues.
• Works collaboratively with Saint Anne's hospital directors, Steward Healthcare directors, and Steward Health Care Network (SHCN) providers to enhance efficiency for the system by sharing appropriate resources and services.
• Oversees planning, preparing, implementing, and monitoring all capital budgets for outpatient oncology programs at the Fall River and the Dartmouth Campus, and the Cancer Registry.
• Practices and engenders a superior customer service philosophy among staff.
• Responds to customer complaints and requests immediately.
• Ensures employees understand what is expected of them relative to excellent customer service for both internal and external customers; deals with inappropriate customer service immediately.
• Defines a plan for measuring customer satisfaction; creates a process for annual improvement; continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction.
• Advocates customer's point of view in developing departmental or system plans and projects.
• Utilizes positive teamwork in developing system goals; promotes goals and teamwork over individual gain.
• Assures quality of clinical services through quality control and performance improvement processes that meet standards established by the Joint Commission, CMS, the DPH Cancer Control Program, the American College of Radiology Radiation Oncology Accreditation Program, and the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Commission on Cancer (CoC).
• Achieves accreditation by the ACS CoC and the ACR.
• Is responsible for compliance with appropriate external regulatory requirements including Joint Commission, CMS, HIPPA, and the DPH Cancer Control Program.
• Continuously maintains regulatory readiness in department.
• Supports performance improvement processes and encourages participation by staff through the use of analytical and reporting tools.
• Participates in and manages performance improvement initiatives in own and other areas.
• Upholds the mission and philosophy of Saint Anne's Hospital and Steward Health Care and holds employees accountable for the same.
Forecasting and Planning:
• Develops a process that allows for and creates meaningful dialogue with physicians regarding operational and strategic decisions and planning.
• Assures seamless delivery of oncology services across the system and care continuum.
• Develops business plans for the Oncology program at Saint Anne's Hospital as well as across the Steward-wide programs, where applicable.
• Collaborates with representatives from Strategic Communications in the development and implementation of annual communications and marketing plans.
• Ensures that all services address patient and customer needs, are priced competitively, and are easily accessible.
• Maintains clinical competencies and strives to keep current with new technology and concepts in area of responsibility. • Completes annual mandatory education requirements and participates in appropriate hospital management training and development workshops.
• Continually learns and develops staff and self; keeps current in trends; participates in professional development opportunities and encourages staff participation; Develops and implements a department specific education plan.
• Encourages cooperation and teamwork in accomplishing results.
• Supports individual and departmental achievement through the use of recognition methods.
• Actively seeks and acts on ways to improve team effectiveness.
• Provides training and development for employees to support, professional and personal growth, enhance job performance, and improve operational effectiveness.
• Communicates specific responsibilities and performance standards to each employee.
• Provides positive and constructive feedback based on employee's performance and develops a plan of action as needed.
• Holds staff meetings at least once per month while engaging staff in meaningful group dialogues centered on improving work place activities.
• Proactively works with staff to ensure that the Director is available and accessible to staff.
• Ensures that all staff has attended required education programs and includes staff in department goal setting.
• Achieves departmental employee opinion results that are equal or greater than the national benchmarks and prior period results.
• Constructively and consistently deals with inappropriate employee behavior or actions immediately in a direct and confidential manner that maintains the employee's self-esteem.
• Documents expectations and corrective actions.
• Completes performance appraisals on time 100% of the time, includes meaningful comments and follows through on action plans, returns to HR on time.
• Creates commitment and ownership, encourages responsibility, helps others to set proper goals and priorities, delegates with clear expec
Job Reference #: 2160