Job Summary and Responsibilities: Responsible for the strategic vision and direction of Ambulatory Perioperative Services and In and Out Patient Endoscopy Units for Hackensack University Medical Center. Controls the daily operations of the Center for Ambulatory Surgery, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Ambulatory Surgical DAR, Ambulatory Post Anesthesia Care, Inpatient Endoscopy Services, Colon Cancer Prevention Center, Pre-Anesthesia Evaluation Department. Functions as the coordinator of all administrative operations and fiscal responsibilities, provides solutions, leadership, and administration of staff, assuring compliance in all departments. Responsible for achieving high patient, physician, and employee satisfaction. Enhances quality through strong performance improvement programs. Maintains current knowledge of the Perioperative environment, trends, and standards of care.
1. Acts as a business manager for the Ambulatory Perioperative Surgical and Endoscopy Services.
2. Responsible for the daily quality and financial outcomes of 12 Operating Rooms and 3 procedure rooms in the CAS, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Operating Room Suites and Endoscopy Suites.
3. Assures cost efficient utilization of OR/Endoscopy time for over 400 physicians.
4. Responsible to maintain and grow surgical and endoscopy volume.
5. Communicates with Nurse Managers, Nurse Educators, and Nurse Coordinators regarding issues in the Ambulatory Surgery, Endoscopy, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and PAE departments.
6. Communicates with anesthesiologists and surgeons regarding scheduling changes, revisions, and troubleshoots problems throughout the day.
7. Offers suggestions and solutions in accordance with established scheduling policies.
8. Suggests and implements policy modifications consistent with the changing dynamics of the operating rooms.
9. Coordinates operations of the perioperative care and collaborates with Admitting, PAE and DAR, channels of communication, ensuring optimal patient care needs are met pre-operatively.
10. Formulates, prepares, and submits budgets. Monitors vacancies on responsibility summary and reports data to the Vice President.
11. Responsible for business plan development for new and expanding programs.
12. Responsible for staffing targets and benchmarks.
13. Mentors managers and coordinators regarding fiscal responsibilities.
14. Evaluates blocked booking with OR Committee.
15. Sets strategic foundation for departmental activities to assure that State DOH and JCAHO regulations are met.
16. Directs the activities of the DAR, OR, PACU and Endoscopy according to State DOH and JCAHO regulations.
17. Recommends and directs changes to the Perioperative Records to assure compliance with JCAHO and DOH standards.
18. Provides a cost effective environment while maintaining a high quality of care.
19. Monitors charging procedure to assure compliance and maximizing revenue.
20. Evaluates feasibility, cost, and priority of physician and personnel requests regarding equipment, supplies, and personnel.
21. Is a resource for nursing practice and the Magnet nursing structure.
22. Responsible for policy development and development by the managers to assure staff understanding, implementation, and compliance.
23. Implements, reviews, and revises policies in collaboration with the Nurse Educators and the Policy and Procedure Committee.
24. Maintains knowledge of innovations and changes in nursing in order to keep the Medical Center current with the changing healthcare environment.
25. Assists management team in effectively dealing with scheduling problems, developing, and applying leadership skills.
26. Mentors department educators in providing staff development and training consistent with current ¿state-of-the-art¿ practice.
27. Conducts daily rounding to ensure that optimum patient care is delivered and alerts to trends in non-compliance with established policy and procedure. Refers all non-compliance issues to Nurse Educator for follow up.
28. Directs and presents performance improvement plan, activities, and results.
29. Consistently responsible for the delivery of quality and safety outcomes for patient, employee, and physician.
30. Lead root-cause analyses to proactively identify process deficiencies in attempt for zero defects.
31. Function as a perioperative consultant to Risk Management.
32. Responsible for physician, patient and employee satisfaction.
33. Disciplines, councils, and settles grievances. Recommends and participates in hiring/discharge/transfers of personnel.
34. Monitors monthly reports and makes clinical changes when appropriate.
35. Directs the units in achieving goals that are aligned with the hospital goals and priorities as determined by senior leadership.
36. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
37. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center¿s Organizational and Managerial Competencies.
Working Conditions: Lifts a minimum of 10 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 15 lbs., and stands a minimum of 1 hour a day.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Graduate of NLN/AACN accredited program in nursing.
2. Minimum of 5 years management experience and 10 years OR experience.
3. Master's degree.
4. CNOR certification within 3 months of hire.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Perioperative Management Certification.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. NJ State Professional Registered Nurse License.
2. AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
Job ID 20637