PRIMARY PURPOSE: To investigate claims against insurance or other companies for personal, casualty, or property loss or damages; attempts to effect out-of-court settlement with claimant.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Handles complex losses locally unassisted up to designated authority; assists on larger losses, including handling accounting-based losses (business interruption and stock)
- Examines claim form and other records to determine insurance coverage.
- Interviews, telephones, or corresponds with claimant and witnesses regarding claim.
- Consults police and hospital records; and inspects property damage to determine extent of company's liability and varying methods of investigation according to type of insurance.
- Estimates cost of repair, replacement, or compensation.
- Prepares report of findings and negotiates settlement with claimant.
- Recommends litigation by legal department when settlement cannot be negotiated.
- Attends litigation hearings.
- Revises case reserves in assigned claims files to cover probably costs.
- Assists in preparing loss experience report to help determine profitability and calculates adequate future rates.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the organization's quality program(s).
- Travels as required.
Education & Licensing
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferred. Must have earned the IIA-AIC designation and be actively pursing another professional insurance designation.
Eight (8) years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required to include five (5) years of adjuster experience.
Skills & Knowledge
- Strong oral and written communication, including presentation skills
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Demonstrated commitment to timely reporting
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with varying levels (co-workers, vendors, clients, and management)
- Strong integrity
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Ability to meet or exceed Performance Competencies.