KAR Auction Services (NYSE:KAR) is a global Fortune 1000 company headquartered in the Indianapolis suburb of Carmel, Indiana, with 18,000 employees across the United States, Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom. Our diverse team helps the world’s largest automotive manufacturers, financial institutions, insurance companies and dealer groups buy, sell and trade used vehicles.
ADESA, a subsidiary of KAR, is looking to fill a critical role in running its business in one of the regions. In this journey, the company is looking for an executive with high potential that can be focused on value creation through building a culture of problem solving and continuous improvement. This role will manage one of the regions in the ADESA network and is responsible for leading and growing the auction business of $300M in revenue. This position will partner with the ADESA Senior Leadership team, auction operations and other functional leadership, as well as key customers, to drive sustained business results and to create a culture of continuous improvement.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the RVP will be owner of the region’s ADESA business. He/she acts as the communication link with the auctions, customers and employees for achievement of goals established by ADESA. He/she will assist the auction General Managers in planning and implementation of the business process to continue growth and profitability and hold the auctions accountable for their performance. He/she will perform all duties assigned by the Chief Operating Officer. He/she must know, practice and ensure that company policies and procedures and state or federal laws are followed at all times by persons under their jurisdiction.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Ensure that management of the auctions are performed in accordance with clear expectations set by the RVP and the operating system that includes the balanced scorecard of metrics that define success at the auctions.
2. Ensure proper follow-through on all directives, bulletins and schedules from the Chief Operating Officer.
3. Make sure customers receive prompt, efficient and courteous attention for all contacts and transactions and service that is required from a contractual standpoint.
4. Work with auction teams to achieve financial expectations, sales objectives and operational efficiencies.
5. Ensure that all employees in the region understand company values.
6. Monitor all regional accounts and work in conjunction with other Regional Vice Presidents to insure maximum increase of potential sales. Monitor and ensure compliance with sale plan layouts, corporate requirements and other directives. Advise and assist with corrective
procedures, if needed.
7. Working in conjunction with corporate sales, initiate contact with customers to determine future needs. Respond to and follow through on all customer instructions. Advise customers of any schedule changes required. Monitor compliance with all contractual customer,
contractor and supplier agreements.
8. Monitor all sales promotions, advertising and telemarketing and recommend competitive strategies to the General Manager.
9. Monitor accounts receivable, collections, cap-ex items and management expense reports within the region. Review profit and loss statements with the General Manager and initiate follow-up on any discepancies.
10.Monitor training, promotions and development conducted by the region and ensure adherence to company policies and procedures.
11.Recognize management candidates of the future and mentor them.
12..Oversee instruction and adherence by all employees to proper safety, loss prevention and reaction processes. Oversee all environmental standards, programs, audits, inspections, projects and risk management. Monitor facility conditions, vehicles, property and equipment
for cleanliness, maintenance and safety.
13. Monitor and ensure compliance with all contractual customer, contractor and supplier agreements.
14. Attend industry functions as required and attend meetings at the corporate office as directed.
15. Maintain positive employee relations and morale whenever possible. Practice sound leadership and human relations principles to promote teamwork at all times. Set a good personal example of attitude and performance. Resolve employee relations problems, complaints,
suggestions, etc. Evaluate and take positive, consistent disciplinary action on infractions of company policies and procedures.
16. Ensure accountability in performance by engaging in a positive and constructive review process with auctions, identifying key opportunities to improve, developing business plans to improve and executing on the same.
Critical Skills for Success
Consultative approach and experience with change management and leadership development.
Strong communication and influencing skills and the ability to work successfully with all levels of the organization.
Excellent problem solving and strong training and facilitation skills.
Good time and project management skills.
Demonstrated ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment.
Good writing and administrative skills, including MS office skills.
Highly self-motivated, enthusiastic and ability to create followership.
Lives the “continuous improvement” philosophy and can drive change successfully.
Logical and creative thinker.
Constantly challenges others to strive for improvement.
Strong result orientation - has track record for delivering results, takes ownership & is accountable.
Willingness to travel extensively (up to 50%, depending on scope.
Educational Requirements and Qualifications: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business or a related discipline preferred. At least ten (10) years in the industry as a General Manager or similar work experience is preferred. Strong managerial, delegation and team building skills are required along with strong analytical and problem solving skills. Must be qualified to operate a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license. Must be willing to travel extensively.