Overview: Fantastic opportunity to join a highly respected legal department that is fully integrated with the business of a global, sophisticated and rapidly growing public company, while enjoying the lifestyle afforded by living in Portland, Maine. IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. (“IDEXX” or “Company”) is seeking to fill the role of Associate General Counsel-Corporate & Securities (“Counsel”), reporting to the Vice-President, Deputy General Counsel & Chief Corporate and Securities Counsel. The Counsel will focus on and perform a wide range of legal activities to support the work of the Corporate Secretary and the Company’s engagement with stockholders and investors.
The Counsel will be:
- Working cross-functionally to plan, organize and execute work in preparation of Board and Committee meetings.
- Managing certain Corporate Secretary programs, including with respect to board communications and director education.
- Advising and counseling the Finance and Investor Relations teams with respect to periodic and financial reporting, earnings releases and investor conferences.
- Supporting, as needed, subsidiary-related matters, including intercompany transactions, intercompany contracts and maintenance matters.
- Working with other members of the Corporate and Securities team, ensuring compliance with US securities laws and regulations and NASDAQ requirements.
- Developing an understanding of Company’s business operations and ongoing related legal issues – as well as the corporate governance and legal landscape and trends – in order to proactively identify and mitigate legal risks.
- Providing solution-based advice and counsel.
- Working with and supervising outside counsel on various legal matters as appropriate.
- Assisting the broader legal team in managing general commercial transactions, international law, litigation and other matters as needed.
- Maintaining knowledge of industry, legal and regulatory developments that affect the Company and informing management as appropriate.
- Performing other duties as required.
- Adhering to and modeling the IDEXX Purpose & Guiding Principles.
Experience: The successful candidate will hold a J.D. from a top tier law school and 5-7+ years of corporate and US securities law experience, gained from working both in-house and in private practice. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of and experience working with finance and independent auditors on ’33 and ’34 Act filings, including Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K, as well as experience with US Securities law compliance, and NASDAQ requirements, including Regulation FD and Regulation G. Experience leading cross-functional teams and working closely with clients within a matrixed, multinational, public company environment is required. Experience with public company corporate secretarial support, including support for the board of directors and corporate governance matters strongly preferred. Relocation to Maine.
Interpersonal Competencies & Success Factors.
- Strong organizational and time/project management skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a high-paced environment.
- Agile learner who is self-aware, curious and inquisitive, adaptable to change and seeks learning and growth opportunities.
- Comfortable with complexity and ambiguity.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills, particularly for non-legal audiences.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including being approachable, effective listening, appropriate use of style and language for the audience and the ability to work with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others and demonstrated professional, ethical and respectful behavior in all interactions.
- Excellent sense of humor – taking work but not self too seriously.
- High energy level and hard working with high degree of self-motivation, as well as sense of urgency to achieve stated business goals
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously, influencing business clients on complex matters as a strong communicator, relationship-builder, coach, project manager and problem-solver
- Highest level of ethics and integrity
- Pays close attention to detail, handles