The Adaptive Optics (AO) Senior Software Engineer will be a key member of the TMT Adaptive Optics Group and will report to the TMT Adaptive Optics Group Leader. It is an opportunity to bring extensive experience in developing high-standard AO software to an exciting science project. The Adaptive Optics Senior Software Engineer will oversee and monitor software work-packages for the first light AO Systems developed by partners and will be responsible for the successful delivery of these software to TMT. The Adaptive Optics Senior Software Engineer will actively participate in the development of the Adaptive Optics Executive Software which is performed in house.
The TMT project office is located in Monrovia, CA, USA. The primary work location for the Adaptive Optics Senior Software Engineer will be the TMT Project office in Monrovia, California. The position will require travels to the AO partner(s) and/or sub-contractor(s) location in Canada, China, U.S. and Europe.
The following is a list of job duties, qualifications, and skills for the Adaptive Optics Senior Software Engineer:
- Oversee and monitor as the work-package manager software sub-systems of the first light AO Systems and AO components. This includes the technical monitoring of the partner, the review of the technical partner software design including the software requirements and interface requirements, the verification and acceptance testing of delivered software working closely with the partner software development team and using the TMT Software Test and Integration Lab (STIL) and following the TMT software quality assurance plan and software development process.
- Participate in the design and development of the Adaptive Optics Executive Software. This includes the update of the requirements and interface requirements, the development of the design description document, the definition of the user story list, the development of the verification plan, and other system engineering deliverables, the software coding and test activities, as well as the development of the delivered software documentation.
- Participate and/or organize software reviews for the TMT first light AO Systems and AO Components.
- Support the Integration and Test effort of the TMT first light AO system or AO components at the partner / vendor site.
- Support the Assembly, Integration and Verification effort of the TMT first light AO systems and AO components at the TMT Observatory site.
- Prepare requirements and statements of work for new software development as needed for the future Adaptive Optics Systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline, or equivalent experience. An advanced degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 - 10 years of experience with software development, including all aspects of the software lifecycle: design, code, test, integration, and maintenance.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience with one or more tools, including: Linux, C/C++, Cuda C, Scala/Java, scripting languages such as python, and browser-based user interfaces.
- Firm understanding of and experience with software systems engineering and software quality assurance processes, including software configuration management.
- Experience with Agile software development processes, methods and tools.
- Experience with a Continuous Integration (CI) systems, preferably Jenkins, and frequent, incremental code testing and deployment. Experience using the CI system metrics to monitor development progress and software quality. Firm understanding of software test methods, including user interfaces.
- Experience with design, development, test and operations of adaptive optics control systems at large telescope facility.
- The project office is located in Monrovia and residence in the area is required.
- Ability to travel to and spend time at partner’s location working with the partner or vendor software development team.