As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be the first line of support when the vehicle maintenance teams encounter technical discrepancies or report squawks for various spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of New Shepard Vehicle Flight and refurbishment of the vehicle and ground systems between flights. A significant part of this effort will be understanding the interplay of the systems and how the vehicles operate, the differences between the vehicles, the opportunities for improvements to the vehicles and maintenance of and improvements to the facilities, systems, and Launch Procedures to make each successive mission more efficient, effective, safe, and affordable. The New Shepard Operations and Maintenance Engineering (NSOME) team will review technical decisions with the NS Design Definition Authority in areas outside their scope of authority. The NSOME Team includes operations engineers specializing in Fluids, Mechanical Systems, Avionics, Hydraulics, Structures or overall vehicle systems integrity and performance. This position will be the focal on the hydraulic actuated systems on the currently flying and newer versions of the New Shepard Launch Vehicles and Crew Capsules. The NSOME Team reports to the NSOME Manager, who reports to the NS Director of Operations and Maintenance. The job will be based in Kent with routine travel to the launch site in Texas. Additional responsibilities may be assigned depending on individual experience and qualifications.. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment to and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Investigate and understand the condition of the vehicle system(s) in your area of responsibility after each mission and contribute to the documentation of discrepant, anomalous, or variant conditions that warrant further investigation and/or rework and refurbishment.
- Accomplish tasks required for mission readiness and ensure engineering evaluations are consistent with agreed upon scope and escalated to the design authority when appropriate.
- Perform engineering back room (EBR) support for launches as required
- Support vehicle managers in assessing technical risk at MRR
- Contribute to schedule planning and status for the Operations Engineering team
- Provide 100% availability to the maintenance and operations teams performing the work on the vehicles and supporting ground systems
- Responsible to ensure completion of post flight data review and documentation and tracking of all resulting anomalies within your assigned system area
- Responsible to support achieving per flight cost targets for engineering support
- Understand and Contribute to the definitions of the alerts and limit levels used by the Flight Operations team during launch operations
- Owns the technical area for the anomaly resolution process.
- Willing and available to travel to our West Texas Launch Site for each mission and between missions as needed to maintain the vehicles, the systems, and the flight operations schedules.
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in engineering or equivalent experience.
- Degree and 8+ years minimum experience in the technical field of Actuated Systems.
- Strong coordination and project management skills. Must be able to track, manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous tasks and jobs.
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to use a variety of management and planning software tools, including the ability to rapidly learn and apply new software tools as required.
- A proven track record of working successfully with multiple other disciplines, and the ability to evaluate technical recommendations from subject matter experts in a wide range of disciplines.
- Proven communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships within the organization.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience with engineering support of field operations
Apply for this job onlineEmail this job to a friend Share on your newsfeed