About Blue Cross
At Blue Cross, we understand the importance of finding a job that you truly enjoy — at a company that shares your values. We’ve made it easy to feel good about working at Blue Cross by encouraging volunteerism, valuing diversity and offering the flexibility you need to live a balanced life. We offer a suite of comprehensive medical and dental benefits as well as competitive pay, flexible work schedules and generous personal paid time off in addition to 20 hours of volunteer paid time off each year. We look forward to serving Minnesotans over the next 80 years and beyond. Join us and make a healthy difference through the work you do every day.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is one of the most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world with 2.9 million members. We’re committed to reinventing health care to improve health for our members and the community. We hope you'll join us.
How Is This Role Important to Our Work?
Innovative predictive modeler needed for Commercial Medical segment. The associate will independently develop analytics, build predictive models, and create and provide actionable recommendations to improve risk selection, rating and forecasting. Presents results of analysis and recommendations to management and other departments. Provide divisional representation or lead role on corporate projects. Actuarial judgement is required.
We are open to a remote candidate in the Eastern, Central or Mountain time zone that is willing to travel to Minnesota on occasion.
A Day in the Life:
- Understand business problems and utilize statistics, data science, and predictive modeling to develop advanced solutions like GLMs, Machine Learning, and Clustering across a variety of big data, other database platforms (Teradata, SQL databases), and cloud platforms like AWS
- Manage end-to-end predictive modeling and solution development life-cycle from requirements gathering, identification of data sources, model development and evaluation, to data processes and model implementation
- Independently research, analyze and interpret medical data.
- Develop predictive models, using both claim and non-claim data, to support Commercial medical segment prediction of future claim cost.
- Understand/interpret predictive model results and make business practice recommendations to improve pricing, risk selection, and forecasting.
- Implement and assess results from predictive modeling business practice modifications.
- Responsible for actuarial representation on corporate advanced analytics projects and may have leadership roles on these teams. Independently manage the retrieval and analysis of data on multiple tasks or projects with little or no management involvement.
- Collaborate, act as a resource, and mentor other members of the Actuarial and Data and Analytics department on predictive modeling techniques and methods and advanced analytics data platform development.
- Makes satisfactory progress according to the Actuarial Student Program guidelines, if still in pursuit of actuarial accreditation.
- Other specific accountabilities as assigned by management.
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Bachelors degree in mathematics, statistics, actuarial science, economics or related field and 5 years of experience in statistical analysis or actuarial work; or 9 years of related experience in lieu of a degree.
- ASA or above.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent PC skills. Knowledge of data retrieval languages.
- Knowledge of BCBSMs databases or industry knowledge.