This person is responsible for overseeing assigned actuarial staff and projects; hiring and training actuarial staff; providing technical support for other areas such as Product Management & Development, Underwriting & Rating, and Sales; assisting senior management decision makers by providing specialized reports and analysis of data on both a routine and ad hoc basis; and is accountable for developing employees, preparing rate filings, providing actuarial support for financial forecasts, and monitoring financial results.
- Supervise entry-level and mid-level actuarial staff.
- Prepare rate filings for large group, small group, direct pay, or senior products.
- Work with Underwriting and Rating, Sales and Product Management and Development to develop and implement appropriate rating strategies for group, direct pay or senior lines of business.
- Ensure that all strategies are in compliance with rate filings and applicable regulations.
- Provide advanced support for the claim reserve process.
- Provide assistance and risk management to the Product Management and Development area for pricing development of new products. Ensure that all new products are financially viable and stable.
- Determine underlying factors impacting pure premium trends for various products and regions. Monitor trends for use in rating. Identify any shifts in trend and take appropriate pricing actions.
- 5 or more years of experience in the Actuarial field - healthcare or health insurance
- 2 or more years of management experience and/or experience leading teams of varying size and complexity
- In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following: premium rate calculations, required reserves, plandesign, trend analysis, rate table construction, actuarial research, or systems development
- Group product pricing experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Attainment of the ASA (Associate) designation in the Society of Actuaries
- Must be committed to pursuing actuarial exams and obtaining Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries
- Requires the willingness and ability to report to work on a regular and timely basis and may require irregular work hours, holidays and/or weekends. Occasional travelrequired.
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, or Statistics
- 7 or more years of actuarialexperience
- Completion of two FSA-level exam components
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries