An exciting opportunity to help drive innovation as a member of CNA's Long Term Care Actuarial team! Come work alongside analytical professionals and collaborate with the Finance, Operations, and Claims teams in order to achieve our company-wide goal of being a data driven organization. The successful candidate will be technically strong, detail-oriented, well organized and will lead and direct the activities of LTC Reserving area and is accountable for contributing to establishing reserve strategy for a The Long Term Care product. May participate in the development of corporate reserve strategy. Leads and directs the experience studies activities of the LTC product line. This is a leadership role and will manage a team of four.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborates with and influences senior leadership in the development and implementation of reserve strategy for Life and Health products.
- Oversees the preparation and accuracy and approves all financialreports and statements, as well as, budgets and forecasts.
- Reports business progress to senior management, and makes recommendations as required.
- Collaborates with internal business partners to ensure optimal implementation of business strategies; facilitates communication and provides technical guidance to Underwriting regarding the pricing of new and existing business and works with others (e.g., Claims, Finance) on actuarial issues.
- Participates with senior leadership in the development and implementation of actuarial policies, business strategies and goals, regularly evaluating performance against goals, and holding self and team accountable for achieving desired results.
- Remains current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends. May represent the company in industry trade groups.
- May direct the work activities and may have full management responsibility for the performance and development of subordinate staff in accordance with corporate strategic direction.
- May act as expert witness and may represent the company with government agencies.
- May perform additional duties as assigned.
AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Senior level knowledge of actuarial principles, practices and procedures and industry issues as they relate to the organization.
- Ability to effectively lead, coach and develop an actuarial group.
- Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills, with the ability to effectively plan and manage multiple projects and project work teams.
- Ability to effectively interact and collaborate with all levels of CNA’s internal and external business partners, possessing excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Ability to exercise professional judgment and assume responsibility for decisions which have an impact on people and quality of service.
- Ability to solve issues with a sense of urgency; utilizes and manages all available resources to make informed decisions and achieve superior results.
- Ability to creatively and effectively manage through ambiguous and challenging business problems, leads through change and takes appropriate levels of risk.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and understanding of when and how to use metrics to make informed business decisions.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems applications.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree, Masters preferred, in a relevant discipline or equivalent.
- Typically a minimum of 10 years of related work experience, including prior management experience.
- Career Associate or Fellowship accreditation preferred.