Assumes administrative authority, responsibility and accountability for the provision of a program of activities designed to meet the interests and enhance the functional abilities and self-esteem of each Resident. Manages employees to provide Recreation Services according to the facility’s philosophy. In collaboration with the Administrator, allocates resources in an efficient and economic manner to ensure each resident achieves the highest practicable physical, mental and psycho social well-being.
- Gathers information to design Recreation programs that meet the functional levels, needs and interests of each resident.
- Develops and provides individual and group activities for Residents that reflect interests of Residents, are offered at hours convenient to Residents (morning, afternoon, evening, weekend) that appeal to both men and women, take place in a variety of locations and include special seasonal events.
- Monthly activities calendar given to each Resident.
- Develops and implements effective procedures to ensure that all Residents are informed of upcoming activities.
- Develops and updates Recreation Services policies and procedures that reflect the philosophy and mission of the facility.
- Participates in the development of the department budget. Provides relevant financial information to Administrator regarding department financial needs and status.
- Hires and retains qualified, competent staff to provide Recreation to attain or maintain highest practicable physical, mental and psycho social well-being. Conducts interviews, provides regular performance reviews, takes appropriate job actions, reviews job actions taken by subordinates to assure that staff meet qualification and performance standards and can perform all essential functions of the job.
- Maintain current skills and knowledge through continuing education. Applies information to job responsibilities.
- Participates in fire and disaster drills. In event of an emergency, carries out assigned duties to assure Resident safety.
- Plans and organizes Recreational Activities as follows:
- Activities calendar for Residents.
- “News & Views” Newsletter for the Residents, staff and waitlist.
- Schedule entertainment at Whitaker Glen (piano, singing groups, variety of musical entertainment)
- Schedule outings for the Residents (museums, plays, luncheons, tours, shopping)
- Planning calendar for activity assistant.
- Encourages Residents to participate in activities.
- Checks on the Residents (by request) with daily phone calls.
- Schedule grocery shopping.
- Schedule regular shopping and banking trips (department stores, malls, etc.)
- Organize exercise program three days a week.
- Organize yoga class one day a week.
- Provide Residents with weekly schedule of events as well as reminder flyers/notices when needed.
- Supervise strength training program as needed.
- Schedule librarian two days a week.
- Organize Vesper services.
- Organize movies and provide snacks for Residents.
- Set-up bingo and provide prizes.
- Provide driver for trip to Walmart.
- Provide snacks and organize social hour for Residents to socialize.
- Supervises Activities Assistant and Fitness Instructor.
- Plan and organize two travel trips a year (overnight trips with a chartered bus)
- Plan and organize annual Spring Fling event.
- Meet new Residents when they move in.
- Purchase supplies for Recreation Department as needed. (bingo prizes, movie snacks, games, art supplies, movies, books, decorations, etc.)
- Provide activities to promote socialization (yearly puzzle challenge, ice cream socials, Bingo, parties, movie night, vespers services, birthday dinner celebrations, entertainment, yearly Great Decisions class, presentations)
- Acts as Librarian between Whitaker Glen and Wake County Library.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Minimum two (2) years college education with courses in recreation, education, social work, other behavioral sciences or clinical services.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Two (2) years’ experience in a social or recreational program within the past five years, with one (1) year full-time employment in a resident activities program in a long term health care setting; or, One (1) year in a supervisory role within a recreation program.
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
Eligible for certification as therapeutic Recreation Specialist or as an Activities professional by a recognized accrediting body.