Perform supervisory work involving regulating, coordinating, and monitoring accounts payable, purchase cards, and records management.
Report to the Accountant 5.
A bachelor's degree that includes 12 credits in accounting, finance or a related field and three years of accounting and/or financeexperience which must include one year of supervisory experience. (Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of accounts payable policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of travel expenditure and reimbursement policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of records management including a formal Records Retention Policy.
- Considerable knowledge of electronic financial management systems, particularly as it relates to accounts payable and purchasing.
- Considerable knowledge of the organization, regulations, and methods of district supply and purchasing systems.
- Considerable knowledge of queries and Excel spreadsheets for reporting purposes.
- Working knowledge of internal audit procedures.
- Working knowledge of research techniques and basic accounting principles.
- Working knowledge and understanding of purchasing statutes, regulations, policies and procedures; and of formal contract procedures.
- Considerable skill in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Considerable ability to interact effectively with district staff, vendors and outside agencies as necessary.
- Considerable ability to supervise staff, including assigning, reviewing and evaluating work.
- Ability to perform under stress, deal with persons acting under stress and adapt when confronted with emergency situations.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following fundamental duties:
- Manage the preparation of Accounts Payable checks and ACH and wire payments.
- Manage the accounts payable staff; interview and select new employees; assign work; provide work direction and coaching; evaluate the work of employees; respond to employee concerns/problems.
- Meets regularly with staff to prioritize tasks, identify problems, resolve workload issues, and conduct performances reviews.
- Develop materials and training for district employees relating to accounts payables.
- Perform the final audit of all payments; research and resolve accounts payable problems; manage vendor and internal inquiries as they relate to accounts payable issues.
- Issue accurate 1099’s to vendors.
- Manage filing system for accounts payable related documentation.
- Act as functional lead for Accounts Payable as it pertains to the District finance system.
- Manage the purchase card payment process including; issuance, security, shut off, purchase card limits, proper supporting documentation is submitted by purchase card holders, and accounting for purchase card activity.
- Develop reports to monitor the District’s finance system Accounts Payable workflow including queries and spreadsheets. Follow up with District staff to ensure compliance (MN Statute 471.425 Prompt Payment of Local Government Bills).
- Coordinate the setup and updating of vendors in the financial system.
- Manage the travel accounting process and the accurate payment of travel expenditures and reimbursements.
- Establish and maintain a records management system for the district that assures compliance with current laws regarding records retention and destruction.
- Establish internal procedures governing records and procedures for the electronic recording of records.
- Reconcile and prepare documents and schedules for the annual financialaudit and other government entities as required. Work directly with external auditors.
- Provide customer service; respond to requests for information and resolve them by researching files and records.
- Coordinate the training and cross-training of Accounts Payable staff.
- Contribute to the District's Strong Schools, Strong Communities efforts by partnering with other staff to contribute to student achievement and the alignment and sustainability of resources.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job ID: 1004650