The SOX Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day function of the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance efforts, including oversight for establishing and maintaining internal controls, compliance, audits, policies and procedures, ensuring risks and controls are properly documented and issues are appropriately raised. This position works directly with business process owners on the implementation of SOX controls, including business process re-design, policies, procedures, documentation, evidence evaluation, and system enhancements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and drive compliance of SOX requirements for the Bank.
- Ensure risk assessment and control frameworks are in place and running effectively and efficiently.
- Organize and facilitate key SOX and internal control design and operational assessment processes with process owners, control owners, and SOX working group. Work with process and control owners to develop detailed documentation of SOX controls and processes utilizing Visio (flowcharts), MS Word (narratives), or similar solutions; administer versioning; produce control change reports. Secure approval of all SOX documents from respective process and control owners.
- Work directly with business process owners on the implementation of SOX controls, including business process re-design, policies, procedures, documentation, evidence evaluation, and system enhancements. Assess new processes, or changes to existing processes to identify financial risks before launch, providing recommendations for improvement.
- Respond to SOX related inquiries from owners, testers, auditors, and management in timely manner.
- Keep up to date with changes in regulations, governance and best practices. Review and update testing procedures and templates to ensure any changes in regulations, governance, or best practices are reflected and incorporated into testing.
- Resolve internal control issues and deficiencies through adept collaboration and facilitation skills with process and control owners. Provide assistance to Bank Controller with drafting evaluations of SOX testing exceptions and deficiencies identified by internal and external auditors.
- Assist in defining, developing, and maintaining SOX and internal control policies and procedures.
- Promote Bank-wide awareness of processes, internal controls, policies, and SOX requirements. Conduct SOX training to groups across the Bank.
- Assist the Bank Controller with reporting status and deficiencies to Management and the Audit Committee.
- Maintain professional certifications and related educational requirements as well as other duties assigned by the Bank Controller.
- Actively learn, demonstrate, and foster the Umpqua corporate culture in all actions and words.
- Take personal initiative and be a positive example for others to emulate.
- Embrace our vision to become "The World's Greatest Bank."
- Reports to SVP/Bank Controller.
- Interacts with SOX working group, including control and process owners, IT professionals, and internal and external auditors.
- Perform key liaison role with Bank senior management, disseminating information to management to support internal control compliance, knowledge, and awareness.
- No direct supervisory responsibilities.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree (master's degree and/or CPA is preferred) in accounting or equivalent.
- 4+ years at a public accounting firm or senior accountant/SOX manager (or equivalent) at a financial institution.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and as part of a team.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft products and other business office machines.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Significant experience, knowledge and understanding of US GAAP, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and internal controls.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, organize, and execute assigned tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally, and in writing.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
- Office environment -- no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands.
- Occasional travel.
Umpqua Bank is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability. We maintain a drug-free workplace and may perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.