Ventura Foods is a leading global manufacturer of branded and custom food products that proudly helps food providers in the U.S., Canada and more than 60 other countries earn a special place on consumers’ tables. We do this by continually crafting custom dressings, sauces, mayonnaises, and other food solutions that exceed peoples’ expectations for great-tasting flavors and high-quality ingredients.
Headquartered in Brea, California, Ventura Foods operates 14 manufacturing facilities, 3 culinary centers, and numerous distribution centers across North America. When you work in our manufacturing and distribution facilities, you get a strong foundation of training, a manager who cares about you and celebrates your success, a safe environment, and challenging work. As part of our team, your future is limited only by how much you’re willing to push yourself to get there. We invest in your growth, because you invest in ours.
Plan, manage, organize, and direct the day-to-day activities, month end tasks, and workload of the General Accounting Department. You will communicate and work collaboratively with internal stakeholders at the Plant and Headquarter level to ensure requirements, deliverables, and expectations are appropriately addressed. In addition to the above, you will manage and assist with various projects to continually enhance the close to report process, including systems-based improvements and procedural updates to build on making the close to report process more efficient and transparent. In addition, you will be responsible for maintaining accounting principles and practices to ensure that integrity of the Company's General Ledger and Financial Statements. Ad hoc projects may include assignments such as: reviewing internal controls; adopting best practices to streamline workstreams; supporting other strategic corporate initiatives.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the month-end close of the financial records for Domestic plant/manufacturing locations. You will review and approve the journal entries of direct reports before posting to the General Ledger. This includes the review and posting of all inventory related automated journal entries, the review and posting of various monthly accrual entries, the calculation of journal entries for inventory usage variances, shipping accruals and variance close-outs. You will perform a management review of all Plant locations financial statements for accuracy. Ensure deadlines are met.
- Responsible for performing analysis of account activity and review of general ledger account reconciliations and schedules to ensure the accuracy, validity, and completeness of financial records.
- Provide support for Plant Controllers and Corporate Management. Resolve issues and serve as a resource for accounting procedures and policies.
- Manage general accounting function with focus on continually seeking out process improvement and best practice opportunities, including better use of systems, elimination of waste, enhanced use of technology, and refinement of close to report processes.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Accounting in setting department performance and development objectives. Ensure team members acquire necessary skills and performance attributes, in line with business and personal development needs. Drive department objectives and prepare staff annual performance reviews.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new policy and procedures to enhance the workflow of the department, while maintaining a high level of accuracy and compliance with Company policy.
- Support the analysis, escalation, and resolution of accounting issues and questions, including review and explanation of variances and fluctuations in account balances at the Plant and Headquarter level.
- Collaborate with and assist external auditors and prepare audit support schedules as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience in a related field including at least 2+ years in a supervisory position.
- Heavy inventory accounting experience required.
- CPA or CMA experience, strongly preferred.
- Understanding of manufacturing and standard cost accounting strongly desired.
- Experience managing and leading various types of projects is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of general accounting principle and practices. Effective, professional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to interact with all levels of management.
- Must have excellent leadership and teambuilding skills.
- Must be proficient in Excel and Word.
- Prior JD Edwards experience is a plus.
- This individual must be able to exercise good judgment and demonstrate strong work ethic.