Under the direction of the Sr. Director of Accounting, theAccounting Manager – Payroll and Benefits, is responsible for managing thepayroll functions for NANA and is responsible for ensuring timely and accuratepayroll processing; including the general accounting functions for allcompensation related areas. This rolerequires working knowledge of GAAP; audit coordination activities; goodinternal controls; accurate reporting and compliance with all payroll-relatedrequirements in accordance with all applicable state and federalregulations. Additionally, this positionwill provide a high level of service and ensure compliance with internal NANApolicies and procedures, state and federal regulations, and will work closelywith subordinates and subsidiaries as applicable, will maintain relationshipswith APA, Regulatory Auditors and third party vendors and will performsupervisory duties and coordinate coverage as necessary. This position will also provide corporate orstaff level accounting support as needed to facilitate the effective andefficient operations of the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuretimely and accurate pay processing of regularly scheduled payroll, retro/wageprocessing, bonuses, payroll adjustments including new hires, temporary workers,transfers, promotions and terminations and communicate actively with Accounting,Tax, Human Resources and Finance departments to review cross-departmentalimpacts and ensure accurate and timely reconciliation of data.
- Manageand determine payroll liabilities:
- Includinginternal determinations or through work with a third party vendor, by approvingthe calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes,and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers' compensationpayments and ensure timely and accurate remittance by the third party to governmentagencies.
- Includinggarnishments, child support, voluntary deductions, benefits and other relateditems for NANA corporate and participating subsidiaries consistent with federaland state wage and hour laws.
- Manageand provide recommendations related to current payroll, benefits and taxprocedures in order to ensure efficient, accurate, and timely best-practiceoperations.
- Manageregular preparation of relevant management reports, including bi-weekly,monthly, quarterly and year-end reports and ensure systems are in place andproperly set up to reflect our current employee base, including wages,benefits, leave accounts, etc. in line with contracts as applicable (union andnon-union).
- Workwith third party vendor and department personnel to ensure that bi-weekly,monthly, quarterly and all year-end reporting including such as W-2's, 1099's,940's and 941's are completed accurately and remitted on a timely manner to thedifferent reporting agencies.
- Preparemonth-end payroll accruals, balance and reconcile fringe pools and balance thepayroll accounts by resolving any payroll discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Maintainconfidentiality and protect payroll operations through integrity and employeeconfidence.
- Performgeneral accounting functions related to healthcare, workers' compensation IBNR,HSA/FSA, STD and Dental, Vision or other insurance offerings managed throughpayroll.
- Completemonthly and annual close process to ensure timely and accurate flow ofinformation for reporting purposes including (but not limited to) managingoperations data accuracy and integrity, and conducting account reconciliationsand analysis.
- Assistwith year-end audit including (but not limited to) coordinating with yoursupervisor on the preparation and review of audit schedules and supportingdocumentation including defined benefit and defined contribution plans;addressing any on-going audit inquiries or issues in a timely and efficientmanner.
- Assistwith corporate and/or staff level accounting functions and responsibilities.
- Monitorand oversee assigned staff in daily tasks, operations and quality control;ensure assigned areas of the department are organized and coordinate availableresources (e.g. staff, materials, etc.) for maximum results.
- Performpersonnel performance appraisals; supervise daily activities of assigned staff,including, but not limited to, effective delegation of assignments, developingwork schedules and providing necessary training and cross-training.
- Followpolicies and procedures, complete administrative tasks correctly and on timeand support NANA's goals and values.
- Assistin a variety of special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from a 4-year collegeor university in Accounting or Finance is required.
- CPP is preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of payrollexperience which included multi-company payrolls.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisoryexperience.
- Intermediate experience, knowledge andtraining in progressively responsible payroll and accounting functions, companyoperations, management and supervisory activities.
- Deltek Costpoint experience isrequired.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Comprehensive knowledge of relatedstate and federal payroll compliance regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of generalfinance, treasury, budgeting/forecasting and related accounting andrecordkeeping systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of humanresources and labor laws and policies.
- Excellent proficiency with MicrosoftExcel.
- Exceptional verbal, written andinterpersonal communication skills with the ability to apply common sense tocarry out instructions and instruct others, train personnel, write reports,correspondence and procedures, speak clearly and appropriately based on theaudience.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpretgeneral business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures.
- Compliance experience with ERISA, IRS,DOL required; DCAA preferred.
- Excellent organizational and timemanagement skills with the ability to provide leadership, supervision and trainingfor employees using positive supervisory techniques to ensure maximumproductivity; demonstrated ability in organization and delegation skills.
- Ability to work independently whileperforming duties in a high-pressure environment that may have aggressivedeadlines.
- High level of integrity anddependability with a strong sense of urgency and results orientation.
- Intrinsically motivated and highlycommitted to independently complete assigned tasks.
- A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record for the pastthree (3) years to be eligible under NANA's vehicle insurance policy.