In short, as the Accounting Manager, you will oversee all functions and projects related to accounting operations, including accounts receivable and cash balancing on behalf of business units, including supervision and training of all reporting personnel. You will be responsible for understanding highly specialized accounting concepts required to maintain the general ledger and supporting subsidiary ledgers and ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Working under the direction of the Director of Accounting, as the Accounting Manager you will assist in coordinating the accounting activities including review of complex issues and general reconciliations coupled with an emphasis on the ability to manage the planning, performance, presentation and completion of special projects. This position will also have regular, direct interactions with individuals on the operational side of the business.
In long, our Accounting Managers are responsible for:
Performing budget to actual analysis and variance explanation
- Managing General Ledger for full cycle accounting
- Analyzing and reporting on profitability for business segments
- Assisting in preparation and communication of management cash reports
- Supporting the development and research of accounting policies and procedures
- Reviewing and analyzing inputs/outputs from significant accounting processes
- Managing staff through reviewing and approving reconciliations and journal entries
- Opening lines of communication with Director of Accounting, CAO and CFO
- Supporting external and internal auditors with quarterly reviews and annual audits
- Evaluating and improving upon existing accounting policies, reports and reconciliations
- Researching, analyzing and documenting conclusions on new accounting policies
- Ensuring all business unit requests, questions and ad-hoc issues are handled in a timely, professional manner
- Continuously developing audit process improvements.
- Ensuring the accurate and timely process of all transactions.
- Challenging practices and continue to develop new, increasingly efficient processes for the accounting operations functions.
So What Kind of Folks Are We Looking for?
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to talk and write with confidence, charisma and competence for a wide variety of audiences including management.
- Organization and time management skills in spades. You'll be handling multiple projects and deadlines that will require you to prioritize then re-prioritize… then… re-prioritize again.
- Killer analytical and reporting abilities. You'll need the capability to analyze data and in return, prepare timely reports on your findings.
- A mind for the details. Okay we know "detail-oriented" is on about every job description – but we really mean it!
- Agile in a fast-past environment. We move, and we move quickly. Thriving in an environment that never stops, is a must.
- Plays well with others. You will be working in a high-functioning team environment. We work together in order to win together.
- Collaborative contributor. You need the ability to coordinate and supervise staff while remaining an individual contributor to the team.
Bachelor's degree in accounting (licensed CPA preferred)
- 5+ years overall experience in accounting, including life insurance industry experience
- A minimum of 2 to 3 years of experience in an accounting leadership position or other management experience
- Prior GL experience or heavy audit experience
- Strong understanding of both Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Statutory Accounting Principles
- Ability to develop and communicate accounting policies and procedures.