Requisition Number 54233 Assurant has an exciting opportunity for an Accounting Director! This individual plays a key leadership role in the development of EBS’s strategy and leads the effort for continuous improvement in the processes. Including but not limited to, complex accounting issue resolution, stakeholder relationship support of effective management and opportunities. The director is responsible for the overall performance and operations of their teams and aligns with internal departments to deliver effective solutions.
- Key leadership role in developing and implementing financial strategies to support Assurant by providing competitive advantage.
- Benchmark and evaluate industry trends pertaining to area of responsibility.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with key stakeholders across teams, functions and locations to enhance planning, leverage reporting opportunities and improve processes.
- Partner with key functional areas such as Actuarial, Operations, Finance and Accounting to enhance collaboration and drive related strategies throughout Assurant.
Operational Excellence (25%)
- Ensures complete, accurate and timely financial guidance and filings in accordance with regulations and approved processes; proactively manages change in regulatory requirements with stakeholders; serves as subject matter expert for area of responsibility
- Manage project portfolio and assignment distribution.
- Actively anticipates and manages future resource needs, skill sets and technologiesin conjunction with business change and works to put a plan in place so the change is as seamless as possible.
- Is the primary liaison between the internal and external stakeholders, responsible for monitoring performance and quality metrics, resolving issues and escalations
- Use appropriate risk management and audit frameworks effectively to support the business.
Development of area skills and enhancing staff effectiveness and engagement (25%)
- Ensure job descriptions, annual performance process and individual development process are utilized to drive performance and behavior of the team
- Identify best practices and skill growth opportunities for team members and establish ongoing learning plans for team
- Work closely with staff to understand each individual needs, level or performance and assist in achieving individual excellence within their roles.
- Actively manages talent, identifies and develops high potential’s and successors, challenges critical retainers and takes appropriate action with poor performers.
- Cultivate employee engagement by using reward and recognition tools, meeting with team members and infusing morale through team building activities.
Lead and/orsupport complex projects (15%)
- Participate/lead strategic projects that drive successful delivery of goals for Assurant, Key functional areas or EBS leadership.
- Performs cost benefit analysis of proposed significant change; communicates proposed action plan in compelling manner to decision makers; implements accepted proposals that result in long term productivity increases or cost savings.
Drive the overall value of EBS (10%)
- Key member of the SR leadership team that ensures strategy processes and skill developments across the areas support the overall strategic goals of EBS and Assurant.
- Actively promotes innovation and collaboration, provides guidance, uses Assurant network for ideas and problem solving, leads on a cross site basis, actively transfers knowledge, facilitates consistency and solicits and provides feedback.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS (If applicable, indicate job titles and number of directreport tothis position.)
- Direct staff / team consisting of various levels of employees.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to less experienced staff.
- Direct staff and workload
- Support offshore business partners
FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: (Include anybudgetresponsibility- expense management or revenue.)
- Assist VP in establishing overall department budget and achieving budget commitments. Ensure understanding and application of authority level for the position.
- Ensure all projects have financial impacts identified, documented and communicated.
- Bachelordegree in Business, Finance, or other related area is preferred.
- 10+ years experience in progressive financialexperience
- 5+ years people management experience, operating in a shared services environment preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Requires advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Management responsibilities reflected in work experience of steadily increasing job scope and responsibility with emphasis on analytical, effective relationship building and leading through change
- Successful track record working in a multi-site, multi-function environment with the complexities of meeting the diverse needs of multiple business lines.
Director level performance in:
- Good judgment, collaboration and teamwork, strategic agility, decision-making, building and leading teams.
- Proven leadership, management, interpersonal, negotiation, organizational, analytic and communication skills.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Ability to positively adjust to changing business demands.
- Experience leading and developing teams and staff.
- Commitment to company values.