Requisition Number 54249
Assurant has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Accountant!
The Senior Accountant is responsible for carrying out tasks of a broad and complex nature, determines how to record items for P&L and balance sheet activity, and performs analysis and reporting of financial results at client level. Completes general ledger journal entries, executes month-end close procedures, performs account reconciliations and analyzes balances appropriateness. This position is required to meet all scheduled monthly financial reporting deadlines and provide accurate and timely analysis and research on VPS Business. Financial analysis responsibilities for this position include the development and maintenance of analytic reporting to validate accuracy of financial results, as well as, to meet corporate financial reporting package requirements of providing fluctuation explanations.
Responsibilities General Accounting and Reconciliation (75%)
- Completes the month-end close for VPS clients processed in Extended Warranty System (EW) in compliance with internal deadlines based on Monthly Financial Reporting Calendar.
- Completes the month-end close for VPS manual clients and record earnings results to the GL in compliance with internal deadlines based on Financial Reporting Calendar.
- Carries out accounting assignments of a broad and complex nature including review of financial transactions posted to general ledger and trends results to check for inconsistencies at the client level.
- Maintain general ledger accounts (P&L and BS) for assigned VPS clients by reviewing client agreements to ensure accuracy of information and calculations, prepare supporting schedules, record appropriate journal entries consistent with US GAAP, and reconciling on a periodic basis and after amendment to client agreement.
- Determines proper accounting procedure based on understanding of products, Assurant legal entity, and obligor status of client.
- Prepares and reviews complex statements, schedules, and reports of a financial nature
- Acts as liaison to business Account Executive in support of maintaining clients in financial systems accurately.
- Knowledgeable in all the duties of the Sr Accountant position for purposes of cross training.
- Achieves and maintains advanced knowledge of company products and services as it relates to VPS business
- Researches and resolves reporting issues and responds to internal/external inquiries
- Develops and maintains documentation on existing and new accounting procedures
- Performs balance sheet account reconciliations in Blackline reconciliation tool and analyzes balance appropriateness. Conducts appropriate level of follow-up activities to ensure variances are cleared within prescribed guidelines and time standards.
Financial Reporting and Analysis (15%)
- Build relationships with VPS business unit’s Account Executives and Finance Team personnel to assure timely communication related to client changes impacting financialreporting
- Ensures that the business unit’s results are presented accurately and timely; with corresponding analytics.
- Research, track and explain financial variances and fluctuations as needed to supportfinancial controls.
Audits and Internal Control (10%)
- Assist in auditsupport data requested for Internal and External Auditors to ensure successful completion of all financialaudits related to the VPS Business Unit
- Requires Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 6+ years experience in Accounting
- Knowledge and Skills
- Must be a self-starter, results driven, and capable of working autonomously with limited supervision.
- Capable of managing multiple accounts
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to accomplish strategic goals
- Demonstrated ability to take leadership roles in special projects or other initiatives as assigned
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to accomplish tasks under deadline pressure
- Positive and professional demeanor, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to interact effectively with peers, as well as, upper management
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong financial system expertise, encompassing spreadsheet, queries, large volume data manipulation and reconciliation
- Insurance company experience
- CPA designation or CPA exam passed